WD WD1000h1NC-00 failing

Hello all, I am having an issue with my Western Digital NAS drive.  It’s the white MyBookWorld edition with the white light, I noted the model number in the subject line.

For the past few weeks I have noticed that the drive becomes unaccessable almost daily, and all of my backups fail.  When the drive becomes non responsive, the only light lit up is the bottom one.  Holding the power button doesn’t reboot the device, only pulling the power cord will do that.  Once it’s rebooted, I can restart a backup or file transfer, but without fail the transfer will fail again.  I upgraded to the latest firmware and I am still seeing the same issue.

I need to be able to trust this thing to reliably backup my computer without needing to be tinkered with.  Is there something I can do to fix this drive?  This is my second Western Digital drive in the past few years,  my 500gb My Book USB died without warning, and I am wondering if this thing is on it’s way out too…  Any help would be appreciated.

You may try a reset to factory defaults, before doing this you must backup your files.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2683/p/228/session/L3RpbWUvMTMyNzMyNTUyOC9zaWQvZUkxbnlTT2s%3D

If this does not correct the isseu you must contact WD for a replacement.

Yeah, I did that a few times.  The first time it didn’t work at all, and now it seems to be working enough to get a backup through… 

It’s been running all night making an image of my computer.  I did find out that it’s still under warranty so I am having a new one shipped.  I am just not impressed with WD these days, this is the second one that has gone bad in a short amount of time.  Does anyone know if there are a lot of issues with this particular drive?

I have the same model. The WD1000h1NC-00. It actually works great. But, I can’t find my manuel or the software. Dose anyone know if it’s available online? I’m trying to set my password so other people on local network can’t access it. I’m also trying to access the drive from across the internet.

Any help would be great!

Thanks, 

Clarke Davidson