WD TV live wont play iso's

ok, ive tried everything i can find or think of, but my wd tv live smp must simply not like me. i have the latest firmware, the movies are in iso format on an external usb 2tb drive which is attached to my computer running windows 7 pro. i have home groups disabled. now for the details of my issues.

when using network share, i can find and see the list of iso’s however most of them either wont play, or start playing, and then only loop the intro screens ( lion’s gate logo, warnings etc). i have at least one that will play until the menu screen, and start back at the beginning of the disc. also, i just dropped a .mp4 video in my movies folder to see if it would play, but it wouldnt. i also had these same problems when the external was connected directly to the wdtv live smp, which is why i attempted using the media server option. plus, the data tranfered pretty slowly, which made adding movies to the external  quite painful.

when using media server, i had the homegroup on, but it wouldnt play mkv, iso, or a couple other but i forget which ones. unfortunately, none of the ways ive tried to convert my iso’s into other formats allowed me to simply keep using the media server option. 

One of the more frustrating aspects of all of this is that my friend has the same device, and his plays all these files types, and all his movies with no trouble at all. As far as we can tell, we have things set up in the same way. the only exception is that his external is connected directly to his router vie ethernet, and mine being usb on my computer. please help. any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. 

Hello, have you tried connecting your friends hard drive directly to your WDTV? You can also check if both have the same firmware version. Click on the link below to review the steps to share files from the PC. 

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3787

ntafiend wrote:
when using network share, i can find and see the list of iso’s however most of them either wont play, or start playing, and then only loop the intro screens ( lion’s gate logo, warnings etc). i have at least one that will play until the menu screen, and start back at the beginning of the disc. also, i just dropped a .mp4 video in my movies folder to see if it would play, but it wouldnt. i also had these same problems when the external was connected directly to the wdtv live smp

Which would suggest problems with the files themselves which makes no sense if your friend really can play back the very same files on his WDTV. Is there any particular reason you’re ripping the whole discs including FBI warnings rather than just the main movie only?

sorry for the delay. things got pretty busy around here. however, the issues are still there. for a couple weeks it started playing everything just fine. although i only checked the isos and some mp4 files.

i was playing with different settings and for some reason, it started working. i wound up having to use the preview window, but most movies would work if i just started them directly. What i noticed was the previously when it wouldnt work, it always claimed the video used a (lv41) codec. and then when i played with the settings, it started using a different one ( something like muepg), which worked.

now, nothing has changed. no network changes, no firmware updates nothing, but it doesnt work again and claims to be using the lv41 video codec.
i ran checkdisc on the external, and everything is fine. i tried connecting the drive directly the the wd and had the same issues. i also tried using and older wd live tv plus, but it wouldnt recognize anything on the network share, or media server. i didnt spend much time messing with this device though. my friend has not brought me his drive yet, but we are using the same wd, and the same firmware. he says he will bring it soon, but we will see.

just to be clear, it wont play any movie files, even the ones that worked fine last week.

You should mount an ISO and paste the output from Mediainfo.

ok, i was wrong about the codec name, its mjpeg i believe. just hard to be sure with the font it uses. but i reset the wd to factory default settings. ( again) and now its working ( again).

i didnt update the firmware after the reset, so im not sure why, but its saying its up to date. using 1.13.18. which is also strange since the latest update i can manually find is 1.06.43

ill do the iso mounting thing as soon as i get some time.