WD TV Live Very Limited Public Beta Version 1.03.42

WD, you guys have to get your act together.  Don’t put a link up if the download is not ready–it disgruntles users.  It’s been almost 3 hours now and no link.

Yeah, and then they have to deal with the people that find it before it’s announced…    

Whats the betting that somebody finds it before that link is active!!

I must admitt if the download is very limited it does not give users in the UK or Europe much chance unless they stay up all night waiting. I’m sure that even WD can attach a file to a link in less than 3 hours. Perhaps they are having a long lunch.

This might upset some people but:

Here

right click, save as.

As always, with betas use at your own risk.

It is shocking that the last official update was 6 months ago. Everyones warranty will be up before this player does all it is supposed to

:cry:

Gazman wrote:

Here

right click, save as.

It is shocking that the last official update was 6 months ago. Everyones warranty will be up before this player does all it is supposed to

Your last post had nothing but praise for the WDTV so what has gone wrong since.

http://community.wdc.com/t5/Firmware/WD-TV-Live-Firmware-Update-Version-1-02-21/m-p/17069#M1631

richUK wrote:

Gazman wrote:

Here

right click, save as.

Your last post had nothing but praise for the WDTV so what has gone wrong since.

http://community.wdc.com/t5/Firmware/WD-TV-Live-Firmware-Update-Version-1-02-21/m-p/17069#M1631

Check the date of my last post. It was nearly 6 months ago around the time when the player was getting official updates. enough said

Gazman wrote:

Here

right click, save as.

There has been at least one Beta in the past that was posted up, pulled, then re-posted.  The Zip files were same name but different sizes (I downloaded both, as did many others).

The point being, if WD haven’t posted it up yet, there might be a good reason.

Not touching this till it gets officially posted.

richUK wrote:

Whats the betting that somebody finds it before that link is active!!

Two-to-one odds on favorite!  Any takers?  :smiley:

Gazman wrote:

Here

right click, save as.

Looks to be a valid link.  I just downloaded.  Looks like odds are against the house! :smileyvery-happy:

File not found :frowning:

Seeing as how the WD invitation is back down, I’d guess they already got their limited number of downloads.

Maybe it had a problem so they pulled it. Anybody try it out yet? :slight_smile:

Gazman wrote:

richUK wrote:

Gazman wrote:

Here

right click, save as.

Check the date of my last post. It was nearly 6 months ago around the time when the player was getting official updates. enough said

As I said whats gone wrong with your set-up. You have never been back with any problems.

RoofingGuy wrote:

Seeing as how the WD invitation is back down, I’d guess they already got their limited number of downloads.

Let me see if I understand what’s happened here correctly:

• WD announces the 1.03.42 beta.

• WD makes the 1.03.42 beta available for such a short period of time that very few people are able to obtain it.

• WD closes the thread for the 1.03.38 beta, which is what the majority of beta users are running and still experiencing issues with.

1.03.42 was clearly official enough to release publicly because that’s precisely what WD did. If it supersedes 1.03.38 as the current beta, why wasn’t the userbase given a chance - other than for an extremely short period of time - to obtain it? And, knowing that only a very few people would be able to obtain it, why close the official 1.03.38 thread? Effectively, this has left those of us still running the 1.03.38 beta with no official way to report issues.

This was not a good way to handle this release, and is only furthering my belief that WD’s approach to the development cycle of this device is chronically lacking clear direction and good management.

Gazman brought up a very good point earlier in this thread regarding warranties: mine’s now over halfway up as well and there hasn’t been one stable firmware release in that time.  It’s clear that there are issues with these units, and WD’s response has been underwheming (to say the least).  Maybe it’s time to start asking for buybacks - after all, WD seems to have little active interest in improving the situation at this point.

It much more likely that they couldn’t get it released yesterday (for any number of reasons), so they probably pulled the thread and will re release on Monday or sometime next week.

casm23 wrote:> 1.03.42 was clearly official enough to release publicly because that’s precisely what WD did. If it supersedes 1.03.38 as the current beta, why wasn’t the userbase given a chance - other than for an extremely short period of time - to obtain it? And, knowing that only a very few people would be able to obtain it, why close the official 1.03.38 thread? Effectively, this has left those of us still running the 1.03.38 beta with no official way to report issues.

Let’s not also forget the rampant unofficial distribution of versions 1.03.39, .40, and .41.  I also am one of the fortunate fellows who managed to grab .42 before the link was taken down.  At this point, does this make .42 unofficial, if the link was taken down even though it was up for a few hours?

Sounds like the making of an X-File conspiracy to me…

Mulder?

casm23 wrote:

Gazman brought up a very good point earlier in this thread regarding warranties: mine’s now over halfway up as well and there hasn’t been one stable firmware release in that time.

The warranty on my Gen1 WDTV HD was halfway up when it was deemed EOL… at least the Live and Live Plus are still getting updates, even if they’re not as quick as you’d like. :wink:

Jackster wrote:

casm23 wrote:> 1.03.42 was clearly official enough to release publicly because that’s precisely what WD did. If it supersedes 1.03.38 as the current beta, why wasn’t the userbase given a chance - other than for an extremely short period of time - to obtain it? And, knowing that only a very few people would be able to obtain it, why close the official 1.03.38 thread? Effectively, this has left those of us still running the 1.03.38 beta with no official way to report issues.

Let’s not also forget the rampant unofficial distribution of versions 1.03.39, .40, and .41.  I also am one of the fortunate fellows who managed to grab .42 before the link was taken down.  At this point, does this make .42 unofficial, if the link was taken down even though it was up for a few hours?

Sounds like the making of an X-File conspiracy to me…

Mulder?

Are you fortunate - that remains to be seen!!. Did you get it via the published page ( which was not working for hours) or did you get it via the direct link that was posted on this thread? There may be lots of firmware files floating around on the WD site but just hunting for one with the same name does not make them the ‘official’ one. 

Later: Just re-read the thread and I see that you downloaded the one that somebody assumed was the correct one. Well it got  the same name so it must be OK - right!!!  I wonder why they pulled it, hope there were not last minute problems with it.

richUK wrote:

Are you fortunate - that remains to be seen!!. Did you get it via the published page ( which was not working for hours) or did you get it via the direct link that was posted on this thread? There may be lots of firmware files floating around on the WD site but just hunting for one with the same name does not make them the ‘official’ one. 

Exactly richUK!  Even though I downloaded it, it doesn’t mean I will install it.  But, in my humble opinion, it also throws into question WD’s distribution practices.  If it’s that easy to find firmware on WD’s site, then WD is not exercising due diligence.  I mean, through the same link in this thread, you can still download .39, .40 and .41 by simply changing the numbers in the address bar.  Sheesh!  They don’t even have these updates coming from an https:// site!

what is the changelog?