WD TV Live PLUS Canada

Sorry, let me reframe that slightly:

It’s a yes or no question: is this specific device capable of providing Netflix service in Canada? (and “not right now” isn’t the same as “no” and just as unacceptable as “I dunno”)

Is it capable, in terms of its technology?  Yes, as far as I can tell.  Still a qualified answer, and still not from WD, but it’s the best I can give you.

Will such capability ever be implemented on the device?  WD says they’d like to be able to implement it, and are looking into it, but are making no guarantees (presumably to avoid complaints if such implementation never occurs… “But you said…”)

Kind of like “Was my PC capable of connecting to DSNET?”  Technologically, yes… security-wise, not a chance – it was a secure network.

RoofingGuy wrote:

Will such capability ever be implemented on the device?  WD says they’d like to be able to implement it, and are looking into it, but are making no guarantees (presumably to avoid complaints if such implementation never occurs… “But you said…”)

I understand (and sympathize even) with this completely.  However that is a different question, the answer to which will inform me whether I want to purchase things from WD as a rule.  I can understand a business decision to not support a service with a device, I just want a clear indication that that is the case so I can make an informed choice on my purchases.

My original question stands, and really what I’m after is seeing whether the answer is ‘no’ because then the conversation stops.   If it’s ‘yes’, then I do have more questions!

Yes, it is capable.

No, it does not work right now, and maybe never will.

The Live Plus unit, when introduced in the spring of this year, was designed specifically to address users who wanted to use their subscriptions to Netflix.  That is the only difference between the Live and Live Plus.  Internally, the Live Plus has a different chip, which will allow encrypted handshaking to take place between the unit and Netflix.

Netflix is now available in Canada along with the WD TV Live Plus.  Currently, it is not working.

The fact that the Live Plus cannot connect to Netflix in Canada has nothing to do with the unit  The unit is capable of connecting with Netflix.  But, it has quite a lot to do with licensing agreement. 

WD may have a license to provide access to Netflix via the Live Plus in the United States (the box says this in fine print), but it may not have a licence to do the same in Canada. 

The reason for that is known only to WD and Netflix.

It could well be licensing.

It may also be the way Netflix has it’s credential servers / content servers set up for Canada and WDs software being hard-coded for the US servers. If WD has to code a Canada-specific firmware, that means they need to change their online update code to serve up two firmwares. The support site needs to be changed to offer two downloads, etc.

If it’s a software problem like that, all the changes required will need to be weighed up before committing.

WD is not known for fast decisions; I’d be tempted to look elsewhere if I were Canadian and needed a Netflix-capable set top box this side of Christmas…

WD’s reticence on the matter should be clear to anyone who witnessed the fallout from the Plus launch.  WD had made optimistic statements (in the Ideas Lab; not in any official marketing) about bringing Netflix to the Live.  Many took that as a promise that it would happen.  The hardware didn’t satisfy Netflix’s licensing criteria and so the Plus was made.  The more hard-headed community members refused to accept this and cried foul, there was generally ill feeling about the whole thing.

If you were WD, would you willingly put yourself in that position again?  :)

PixelPower wrote:

The more hard-headed community members refused to accept this and cried foul, there was generally ill feeling about the whole thing.

Not wholly dissimilar to the Gen1/Gen2 issue with the original WDTV HDs.  WDTV users wanted full Dolby Digital and DTS support.  WD went with a hardware solution (when a software solution theoretically exists, and thus could have become a firmware upgrade) and created a whole new device, leaving many of the Gen1 owners feeling cheated or stranded.

Thanks everyone for the discussion, I’ve taken my unit back to BestBuy (lots of Live and Live Plus boxes on the shelves here in Kitchener btw).

If my luck with this sort of thing holds true the firmware upgrade should appear sometime tomorrow :smiley:

However I will likely be looking elsewhere for my needs, regardless of if/when the WDTV Live Plus supports Netflix in Canada.

jbw33 wrote:

However I will likely be looking elsewhere for my needs, regardless of if/when the WDTV Live Plus supports Netflix in Canada.

Sorry to hear that it didn’t work out for you.  It’s a nice little unit when it’s working right.

Good luck in your quest for an alternative, there are some really nice looking alternatives (esp. Boxee Box) but, whatever you do, hit the product forums first and find out if it actually supports Netflix / does exactly what you want it to do.

A lot of media players promise the world and fall short, don’t put yourself through this again, your time is precious!  ;)

In addition to Grant’s excellent advice I would add that, in general, it’s always a good idea to shop for something which meets your needs right now, and not wait on the chance it might in the future.

(This is good advice whether it’s a car, a media player, or a prospective mate you’re shopping for :>)

In Nevada we used to say “don’t bet on the come”.

I like how Apple TV supports Canada and USA on the day its released… None of this “USA” only ■■■■. 

Its probably a license issue - WD was too cheap to pay for Canadian access, but decided to still market the player here… 

Hey Guys,

Here’s a potential work around for now.

There software called “PlayOn” that just started supporting Netflix in Canada.

You just install it, enter your Netflix username and password and you’re set.

On WD TV, just navigate to Video, then Media Server, it should show “PlayOn on YOUR COMPUTER NAME”

Open that, go to Netflix and browse.

The interface is not pretty, and therer’s no Search or “Recently Watched” or anything like that, but works pretty good.

Unfortuantely the software’s not free, but it has a trial version.

Hopefully WD will eventually add support, but for now this works.

Amazing

Works like a charm

We can only hope they don’t disable the program

If it is this simple a freeware program cannot be far behind

A  POX on both their houses (Netflix + WD) :smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy:

ADDENDUM

We are most disappointed  about the snafu between you and Western Digital. Purchasers of their media centre have a reasonable expectation of being able to view netflix on it now that it is available in Canada

Using programs like PlayOn or hooking an old computer to the flat screen are work arrounds that diminish your product, greatly.

We would appreciate it if you could settle this apparently trivial problem forthwith and encourage us to continue our netflix subscription.

Regards

balsamlake wrote:> We would appreciate it if you could settle this apparently trivial problem forthwith and encourage us to continue our netflix subscription.

It won’t happen.  If it didn’t happen from day one, it will not happen.

Currently I have both versions of the media players, I too am not very impressed with the current situation.

If a different company came out tomorrow with a usable Internet player that did Netflix I wouldn’t hesitate in going out and buying them.

Product compatibility with my needs is important and the second  Internet media I got was for Netflix also.

Someone needs to realize that the Canadian market needs equality with the US one!

Le_Gnome wrote:

If a different company came out tomorrow with a usable Internet player that did Netflix I wouldn’t hesitate in going out and buying them.

Why wait?   The exist today.   Go buy one.

PM me a brand that has the same functions and does netflix in Canada. I haven’t noticed any in my travels. Thanks if you can provide!

Unfortunately, I can’t bring up the NetFlix.CA website (it redirects me back to the US) but you can look there for the compatible players in Canada…

http://www.netflix.ca/NetflixReadyDevices

Just looked at the Apple unit and it doesn’t do all the video types that the WD one does. Don’t see anything for MKV or TS.