WD TV Live Player and WD My Book Live - Streaming Issues

Whenever I stream movies etc. from my WD My Book LIve to the WD TV Live Player there is constant freezing to the point that we turn the tv off and give up. It never use to be like this, only freezing once or twice during a session. It got worse after I added about 800GB of files to the My Book Live however it is still only half full and I wouldn’t expect this to impact on the streaming quality considering it should be able to handle the 3TB as advertised. To tell you the truth I really hoped this would work but the whole set-up process issues I experienced and subsequent poor performance has really chewed up my time and energy and i just want to get a USB storage device and plug it directly into the WD TV Live Player. The transfer speed of files from my laptop to the My Book Live wirelessly is so incredibly slow I end up having to use an ethernet cable to complete the transfer anyway. My question is can I plug the My Book Live directly into the WD TV Live without using an Internet connection and will it work? I don’t want to disconnect the current set-up until I know this. Also how close does the WD My Book Live need to be to the WD TV Live for it to stream properly, is there an optimum distance (at the moment it is about 10 metres away). If I can’t get it to work the My Book LIve is a complete waste of money and I will have to go out and buy a USB storage device which is really annoying.

Your post is confusing.

how close does the WD My Book Live need to be to the WD TV Live for it to stream properly,

is there an optimum distance (at the moment it is about 10 metres away).

I don’t understand what you’re asking.  Distance between the MBL and WDTV has nothing to do with anything.

I’m assuming, based on what you’ve said, that:

1- Your WDTV is connected via WiFi

2- Your WiFi is lousy considering you say “ransfer speed of files from my laptop to the My Book Live wirelessly is so incredibly slow”

Given that info, the problem isn’t the MBL at all, the problem is your network.