WD TV Live not finding WD My Book Live

Hi guys,

I had a look but couldn’t find a relative thread. So i thought id post a new one.

I have just bought a WD TV Live and i have a WD My Book live plugged into my wireless router. I have plugged the Tv live into my tv and it can play videos from the usb port but it can’t find the MBL.

Also, it can only connect to the net via a LAN cable from the router to the unit. I thought it was meant to have a wireless network card?

Do i need to configure my network settings?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Coopaloop wrote:

Hi guys,

I had a look but couldn’t find a relative thread. So i thought id post a new one.

I have just bought a WD TV Live and i have a WD My Book live plugged into my wireless router. I have plugged the Tv live into my tv and it can play videos from the usb port but it can’t find the MBL.

Also, it can only connect to the net via a LAN cable from the router to the unit. I thought it was meant to have a wireless network card?

Do i need to configure my network settings?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

When you 1st start your SMP it usually searches for network (wi-fi). You can check/setup your network in the Setup option of main menu on the SMP.

Cheers

Hi mate, thanks for the reply. Yes i have tried that and it cannot find any network. It can only find a network when the LAN cable is plugged in (which is inconvenient to have to do). But even when it is plugged in, it can’t find the MBL.

Coopaloop wrote:

Hi mate, thanks for the reply. Yes i have tried that and it cannot find any network. It can only find a network when the LAN cable is plugged in (which is inconvenient to have to do). But even when it is plugged in, it can’t find the MBL.

It is the WDTV Live Streaming Media Player you have got and not just the WDTV Live HD Media Player? On the box it should show the unit is wi-fi capable if the SMP.

Cheers

**bleep**, i have bought the wrong one. Ok so will a wireless usb adapter fill in whats missing? 

Thanks again.

Coopaloop wrote:

**bleep**, i have bought the wrong one. Ok so will a wireless usb adapter fill in whats missing? 

Thanks again.

I am sure if it is the WDTV Live HD Media Player you can use a wi-fi adapter. Check link below.

http://www.wdc.com/WDProducts/Library/UM/ENG/4779-705035.pdf

Cheers

Thanks for your help, ill try it out. Do you think that adding a wireless usb adapter will make the SMB search for a network?

Coopaloop wrote:

Thanks for your help, ill try it out.

No problem, can’t you exchange it for the SMP?

Cheers

Im not sure what SMP stands for but no, i got the WD TV Live from eBay and have opened it and paid for it. I might just use it in my bedroom to play movies from my other external hd and might have a look at a Boxee for the lounge room.

Coopaloop wrote:

Im not sure what SMP stands for but no, i got the WD TV Live from eBay and have opened it and paid for it. I might just use it in my bedroom to play movies from my other external hd and might have a look at a Boxee for the lounge room.

Sorry, the SMP is abbreviation for the wdtv live Streaming Media Player (wi-fi model), it really is a good player.

I have had mine for 8 months and not had a problem.

Cheers

Does it search your movie and music library and automatically add movie posters and cd covers? Because Boxee does that and i think its a great feature.

Coopaloop wrote:

Does it search your movie and music library and automatically add movie posters and cd covers? Because Boxee does that and i think its a great feature.

The “Get Info” option does find backdrops, covers (metathumb file format) and information for movies, haven’t tried music so can’t comment. Link to manual below might shed more info. A lot of members use ThumbGen to generate moviesheets, covers, etc and there is a lot of different themes available to download. Forum members are also helpful with any queries, either regards player, themes or ThumbGen.

Cheers

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/UM/ENG/4779-705062.pdf

Great news! … Also, im finding the WD forums very helpful and resourceful. Good community here.