Wd tv live internet access

Currently, my wd tv live is connected directly to my dlink dir 651 router. My laptop is running windows 7 64 bit. I can access wdtv live via my laptop wirelessly. I can stream videos to my projector. I can map it as a network drive on my laptop as well. I mannually set the device to x.x.0.109. I registered ddns on my router to a name. And I wanted to access the wd tv live as a map drive while I am out of my network space.

I want to be able to map it as a drive outside of my network ( virtually anywhere that I can access internet). I search a lot through the forum and the internet already but people always say that it’s complicated and shouldn’t. But this is something I find useful for me. I don’t want to compare or promote anything, but Iomega achieved this already, and I know WD can do it too. If interested, I found the video  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJ03yDyQLFE&feature=related .

Currently, I am facing 2 problems achieving this goal:

1.  When entering x.x.0.109 into my browser, no matter what kind of password I entered, it would not allow me to pass.
  2.  I don’t know how to create SSH port/client on WDTV to make it like a space to retrieve data/file.

If anyone knows, I would greatly appreciate. Thank you in advance.

1>  The correct password (unless you changed it) is listed in the User Manual.   It is “admin”.

2>  Nope, no SSH allowed.

You will NOT be able to access the WDTV via a mapped drive from out in the internet.   That’s not practical with any computer unless you’re running VPN software.

And no, Iomega ISNT doing that…  They are using “Cloud” services to act as a go-between between the client and a NAS, and requires client software on the laptop.

If that’s what you’re wanting to achieve, then I would suggest you look into cloud-capable NAS boxes like the WD MyBook Live.

Thank you for your prompt reply. # 1 worked perfectly :). # 2 is there a client/software that I can install on my laptop to access my wd tv from internet?

Does any1 have any solution for me? How can I access my WDTV out side of my office from internet? Thanks.

“You will NOT be able to access the WDTV via a mapped drive from out in the internet.   That’s not practical with any computer unless you’re running VPN software.”

Did you miss that part?