WD TV Live Hub using b-rad's firmware?

Hi all,

I just bought one of these to use as a media streaming & download station thinking I could use b-rad’s firmware, but getting mixed up with the names ‘WD TV Live’ it looks like it’s not capable of running the quality firmware unlocking many of the locked features/potential of this device.

Has anyone successfully installed b-rad’s firmware? If so can you provide a link to download it please.

If not looks like I’ll have to sell it and buy some other brand that doesn’t lock up the firmware…anyone comment on other brands.

Mainly want built in storage with MKV etc. playback and torrent client, my NAS is no good as no onscreen display only configurable via PC and playback via PS3 & XBOX 360 don’t have MKV etc. support…bring back upgraded XBMC. I don’t really want a power hungry HTPC to run XBMC.

The Boxee Box could be an option - I think that runs XBMC, but doesn’t have internal storage and also has firmware problems :neutral_face:

Yeh thanks I’ve herd conflicting information about the Boxee Box, some saying the menu is clunky others issues with freezinging and others that don’t have any probs at all.

So what would be a fair price to sell my newly purchased Live Hub anyone, I have not received it yet from the seller, it’s in transit?

I would give the Live Hub a go first

You never know, you might like it !

:smiley:

True, I will plug it in before I sell it, the interface looks nice…

I just saw the new QNAP NMP-1000P does pretty much everything I want it to do, though it’s not cheap at $339 **without a HDD** :robotsad:, but i’ve had good results from my QNAP 109 II Pro NAS, just the media receivers don’t want to play ball with it and it needs a bigger HDD and has no HDMI output with remote, hence my purchace of what was going to be a great all in one & cost effective replacement solution. 

I don’t want to have to run a seperate NAS and media streaming device to download  and watch content, it should all be done on the one box, too many power packs and ethernet cables, means I need a dedicated switch behind the TV ETU as I’m out of ports on my router,  and I’m beginning to get power consious with the cost of power not to mention trying to decrease my carbon footprint.

I chose the live Hub cus its nice and neat - sits next to my home cinema kit with a 3tb hdd plugged into it

Not interested with streamimg because of the lag problems you can get, especially with hi def.

Have now been able to retire my DVD collection to the loft

I’d think twice about the QNAP.   I’ve heard nothing but bad things about it.   I *LOVE* their NAS boxes (I own two of them) but on the QNAP forums, there’s lots of negative stuff.

To answer your original question, B-RAD does NOT run on the Live HUB.   It’s only for the Live / Live+.

Thanks Tony " It’s only for the Live / Live+." that’s the answer I was after, well not really, though now I know I purchased the wrong device.

B-rad firmware indeed doesn’t work for the Live Hub.

And in my opinion it’s also not needed.The Live Hub works quite stable. Ok there are some bugs (screensaver/audio) and not all actions in the ‘internet services’ work as they should be. But the main video, audio and photo support is good and that works stable.

I also miss the feature to have a torrent client on the Live Hub but i’m not sure if the device is suitable for it.

A alternative you can look at:

AC Ryan Playon!On HD

HDi Dune (Base/Prime/Max/Duo/Smart)

Conceptronic CFULLHDMA

Popcornhour C-200

Thanks pacorob for the alternatives. I did have a breif look at the AC Ryan Playon!On HD and was just about to buy one but the WD TV Live Hub came up and was a good price (and thought it was customisable) so picked it up instead.

I might see how the music menu is for browsing by Folder (hopefully it orders the songs in correct order ‘as was on cd’ and not in alphernumerical order) when browsed by folder to playback, if so this solves one of my current issues with Twonky media server on the NAS.

Can it copy from another network share eg. NAS download shared folder to the internal HDD using the onscreen menu, if so then I may keep it?

Conceptronic CFULLHDMA

What ever you decide to go for, don’t go for Conceptronic. My previous purchase was the Conceptronic CFULLHDMAi. The hardware of the device is OK but the support from Conceptronic in the way of new firmware is not even worth to talk about. Last official FW update was in may 2010! They gave out a “test” version of their latest FW in august 2010 and that was it …

shajar wrote:

Thanks pacorob for the alternatives. I did have a breif look at the AC Ryan Playon!On HD and was just about to buy one but the WD TV Live Hub came up and was a good price (and thought it was customisable) so picked it up instead.

I might see how the music menu is for browsing by Folder (hopefully it orders the songs in correct order ‘as was on cd’ and not in alphernumerical order) when browsed by folder to playback, if so this solves one of my current issues with Twonky media server on the NAS.

Can it copy from another network share eg. NAS download shared folder to the internal HDD using the onscreen menu, if so then I may keep it?

The Media Library FOLDER view lists and plays music files in track order, which seems to be what you want.

There is a “Sync Content From A Network Shared Folder” function in the Setup > Operation menu, which again I think is what you want.

Anyone tried the xtreamer prodigy?

http://www.xtreamer.net/xtreamer-prodigy-upgraded/

And how would anyone manage that, considering its not due till 15th September ?

@ramx2 those are some pretty impressive specifications though! Looks like it will be about $285 though.

Wow looks like the WDTVLive hub is going down to the kids TV and I’ll shout myself one of the Xtremer Prodigy’s for a christmas pressie, (will wait for some reviews first) good find!

wdtvhub wrote:

And how would anyone manage that, considering its not due till 15th September ?

The 15th September means that the Xtreamer exist but not released to public. I’m sure there’s few ppl managed to test it…

Well there are no reviews so I doubt it.

The specs do look good though, but I bet they have teething problems as well, in fact I remember reading up on the older models and they had issues just like any other media player.

This might even be worse as they have went for so many new bits of kit, that it will either be the best thing ever, or something that trys to do too much and fails at the most crucial part, watching videos.

I agree that the potential for problems with the unit could be huge given the feature set. One thing that does seem appealing is the modular hard drives. I wonder if they would support even bigger drives in the future.

Agreed.

But just from browsing their forum, and I registered there whn I was looking for a new media player and stumped for the hub…but

I found the Admins replys were all or nothing, deleting posts etc, so that put me off a bit, then I read about the Jukebox side, It was actually mantained third party, but the site never told people that.

So onto this new bit of kit, they have a new section for the Prodigy 3d, but no one is allowed to speculate, and heres a couple of things that make it much the same as what we have.

No BD Menus

USB 3 is a slave port only

Gigabit is well…same old I guess…etc…

There is going to be an Opera Mobile browser and Android, which as someone says in their forum, what use is Android on something that is not touch screen ?

So once you see past the flashy Icons and speil, its not that amazing.

And as you rightly say, it may even end up a bag of nails. :slight_smile: