WD TV Live Hub Internal drive disconnected

Just bought WD TV Live Hub the other day.

On boot up before the user interface even loads I get this error message that just flashes for about 3 seconds.

In case you can’t read it, it says: The internal drive is disconnected. Please reconnect the drive. If problem still exists, contact WD Support tream at blah blah blah. 

Anyone else get this?

But then the UI comes up and it looks fine and I can use the internet services, but I can’t find the drive on my network and when I go Disk Management it says “No Device” and WD Discovery when I choose “map network drive” says “No network share found.”

So am I doing something wrong or is the drive actually disconnected? or non-existent?

Have you tired updating it with the new firmware? With a USB flashdrive?

If that doesn’t work, I’d say return it for a new one if you want to go through the hassle. However, I’m dealing with a plethora of issues with this device after having it for only seventy-two hours.

Once I figured it was broken i boxed it back up, but I should try to plug a usb thumb drive into it to see what happens. I downloaded the new firmware. 

Try the paperclip reset button on the button - however it does look like the internal drive has failed.

Hey!

Since it’s broken and you’re returning it, why not open it up and see what it looks like inside? Maybe you could snap a few photos and post here?

Anandtech already did a teardown of the unit in their review:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3990/western-digital-wdtv-live-hub-review/7

Pretty slick looking.  This thread makes me wonder if the actual system of the Hub is run via the main board only and not off of the hard drive, unlike how a TiVo box works where OS and storage is on the same drive.  Could we potentially replace the 1TB drive with something bigger down the road without disrupting the system?

The OS resides on FLASH Memory, and the hub can run without an internal drive, but many of the features will be disabled (Themes, Media Library, content information, etc).

The Hub’s drive also has multiple partitions;  unclear to me if it will recreate those partitions if a new drive is installed…

I thought about trying to open it, but was afraid if it was empty that I’d be suspected to removing the drive.  When I got the new hub it was significantly heavier. I don’t think the first one had a hard drive in it.  And the packaging on the new one seemed more factory sealed than the last one too. Someone took the drive out and shrink wrapped the box and put it back on the shelf.

The OS is on the flash drive not the hard drive because I could use the UI and all the internet services. That’s why I didn’t notice for a few days because I was playing with all that and it wasn’t until I went to network the drive that it was obvious something was wrong.

raisincain wrote:

I thought about trying to open it, but was afraid if it was empty that I’d be suspected to removing the drive.  When I got the new hub it was significantly heavier. I don’t think the first one had a hard drive in it.  And the packaging on the new one seemed more factory sealed than the last one too. Someone took the drive out and shrink wrapped the box and put it back on the shelf.

Egads!!! :dizzy_face:

Rainscan, do everyone a favor, especially the store.   CALL THEM and TELL THEM.

It’s possible they can track the serial number back to a credit card, plus their management needs to train their staff on what to check for.

I just received mine for christmas, ws very excited about hooking it up and transfering my pics and video files to it. I also get this same messege! and have submitted a support question…

While waiting for this support reply is there any member here that is an Employee of WD? if so Please contact me at [deleted] I have some serious info that WD needs to know about!. please be sure you can prove to me you are with WD…

I just got my Live Hub from the mailbox. Connected it (wired) to my 1 Gbps network and Bam! Same error as you. I did weighted the unit and it shows 552 grams which is the weight on the Specifications. So I doubt some has taken the HDD away. If there is no fix I guess I will have to take the unit to my local Best Buy and ask for a replacement.

I forgot to mention I also tried connecting USB keys into the front and back USB connections with movies I just watched on my old WD TV unit and the Hub does not even recognizes them… This unit is either broken or the firmware (which btw I upgraded twice to be on the very latest one)  is ■■■■.