WD TV Live Hub & Camera's

Hi All 

I purchased this unit for my wifes xmas present after rerading the marketing information produced by the maufacturer however I am having many issues extracting photos from my wifes camera’s allowing them to be stored directly on the WD device

No matter what I do I get synchronization failed. unknown error (or something similar)

The camera is a Nikon 1 … please help as this device was supposed to be a simple plug in and store photo unit

Exactly what WD player do you have.

Me thinks you are unsure exactly what this device does.

steptron wrote:

Hi All 

I purchased this unit for my wifes xmas present after rerading the marketing information produced by the maufacturer however I am having many issues extracting photos from my wifes camera’s allowing them to be stored directly on the WD device

No matter what I do I get synchronization failed. unknown error (or something similar)

The camera is a Nikon 1 … please help as this device was supposed to be a simple plug in and store photo unit

IIRC, SYNCHRONIZATION will only work if your camera presents itself to the hub (or a PC for that matter) as a generic FLASH device.

Otherwise, you’ll only be able to “view” the photos using the built-in menus.

Until you get things better figured out, if you want to view photos now taken by your wife’s camera, take out the SD card (I presume it has one) and put it in a card reader connected to your PC, and find the photo files directly by looking in the folders until you find them (usually in numeric order and ending in JPG. ) Copy these JPG files (copy the entire folder with the photos inside) to your desktop.  Now, depending upon how you have your WD set up, you can view them with the WD directly from your PC, or you can copy this folder to your WD’s drive and view them that way.

If you do not have the complete User Guide for your WD, suggest you download it from WD support for further information.

From the Manual:

USB port 1: Supports connection of compatible removable storage devices, portable media centers, digital cameras with USB connectors, and USB wireless adapters.

You can connect a card reader to the USB port and read your camera’s card. I have a Canon, uses CF cards and I do it all the time. Just hook it up go to Photos press OK then use the RED button to change the source to the reader. Make sure to use the Eject button when you are done and ready to remove the reader.

As was said, the camera must be able to be put in mass storage mode or recognized as a mass stroage device. Some do, some don’t. Personally, I would never connect my camera directly to any device by a cable. I’m a pro photog and have been shooting digital since '97 and always use a card reader to view/download photos. Not only does it save camera battery, but it eliminates the risk of catching the cable with something and sending your camera hurtling to the ground. My 46" Hitachi has a built-in card reader that I use when I want a quick and easy way to display photos I just took on a larger screen. Otherwise, I download them to my PC and view them over the network with my Live Hub.

@Miami_Son:   AMEN, Brother!   Forget connecting with cables.

My TV also has a card reader slot that is handy this way.