WD TV Live / HDD Network Question

Hey all, I have a question regarding my external HDD.

I have a Western Digital 2TB Elements HDD. I use this HDD for storage on my Imac and also plug it into my WD TV Live box and watch movies on my TV. I got sick of moving the HDD and cords back and forth between the TV and Imac, so I wanted to leave the HDD plugged into my Imac and connect the WD TV Live box to the HDD wirelessly.

I spent hundreds on multiple Wifi adaptors that I plugged into my WD TV Live box only to find they were not compatible. I then also realized that for this set up to work, my computer would need to be switched on whenever I wanted to watch movies.

Now I am wondering, what is the best way to go about doing this. I am wondering whether it is possible to plug my HDD into a router and connect the WD TV Live to the router? This would mean only the router would need to be on and not the computer in order for the WD TV Box to connect to it. Is that correct?

That’s correct, but that will only work if the router can provide proper public access permissions to the USB drive.

Easiest solution is to buy a second USB HDD and leave one permanently attached to the Media Streamer.

You will then, at least, have the ability to back up the valuable contents on two external drives. :slight_smile:

Taliska

jsncrs wrote:

… I spent hundreds on multiple Wifi adaptors that I plugged into my WD TV Live box only to find they were not compatible. I then also realized that for this set up to work, my computer would need to be switched on whenever I wanted to watch movies.

Now I am wondering, what is the best way to go about doing this…

Well, I’ve tried a few different WiFi adaptors and the best solution I’ve found is one from a dude in China on eBay. The adaptor is about the size of a TicTac and it’s about $8. Search eBay for “150M wireless usb WiFi Network Adapter 8188”.

As far as networked storage, I’d go down to BestBuy/OfficeMax/whatever and get one of those network-attached-storage boxes. You can get them for about $150 for 1TB. WD, Iomega, Seagate… they all make them. And I think they all pretty much support Windows-style folder sharing and the newer “media server” protocols that seem to be gaining in popularity. If I didn’t already have a Linux server in my house doing this for me, I’d be down at BestBuy purchasing one right now.

Typical isn’t it… no sooner than I buy a WDTVLive, they then bring out a new version with wireless included.

Taliska