WD TV Live has stopped responding

Hello WD Community.

Hoping I can get some advise regarding an issue that has popped up recently on a friends WD TV Live.

She spent roughly 3hrs watching some AVI files on the device over the weekend and part way through an ep, paused, navigated back to the main menu and shut the unit down.
She returned about an hour or so later to continue the ep, but the device would not respond.

The power indicator is lit but apart from this is no indication the unit is operational.
She has not updated the device at any point, as she does not have access to internet. And nothing in the vicinity of the device was moved or anything.
She uses an HDMI cable and I’ve noted others reporting issues with the HDMI port ceasing to work, we are going to attempt the component cable this evening to see if this allows it to work.
However in the meantime I have attempted to hook the device to my PC via WD Link, but no matter how it is connected (USB 1, USB 2 or Network cable) it cannot detect the device.

At the moment she is slightly paranoid that somehow she may have wiped the device, if this is the case, is there anyway to reinitialize with the original setup or to somehow force a new Firmware into place?
I realize this would be difficult without being able to use the main menu or connecting to a computer :smileyvery-happy:
We also noted this occure litterly 2 days after the warantee expired :cry:

The Hub will not be detected connected to a computer by USB, only by its Ethernet port.  You may try a reset, by holding its reset button for 4 seconds.  You may also try with another HDMI cable and/or TV, and also with its composite or component interface.

I had this issue in the past (light on but nothing showing on the screen and no response to the reset - could hear the hard drive spinning though) and the only fix I found at the time was to cut the power to the unit for 10 seconds and then turn it back on. It has happened a handfull of times but pulling the plug seems to be the only “fix” I just hope that the hard drive doesn’t fry with this issue/fix.

A complete freeze occured on my WDTV LiveHub yesterday while I was browsing my music folder in the media library. The player is only a week old and this was the first occurance. It seemed to be caused by pressing the back buttom repeatedly to scroll to previous screens, instead of waiting for the next screen to appear before pressing back again (I think). As it was completely unresponsive, I unplugged the unit, waited 30 seconds and plugged it back in. No harm was done and the unit functioned correctly afterwards ( the media library recompilled but quite quickly considering there are 1200 cd’s on the internal hard drive). It was a bit unnerving though, as when plugged back in, the WD logo appeared and the screen went blank and remained that way for about 20 seconds. However, the WD logo reappeared with the rebooting message and within 60 seconds everything was fine. I don’t know that WD would approve of this method, but all I want to do is listen to music, not become a techie!!  

MikeDK wrote:

A complete freeze occured on my WDTV LiveHub yesterday while I was browsing my music folder in the media library. The player is only a week old and this was the first occurance. It seemed to be caused by pressing the back buttom repeatedly to scroll to previous screens, instead of waiting for the next screen to appear before pressing back again (I think). As it was completely unresponsive, I unplugged the unit, waited 30 seconds and plugged it back in. No harm was done and the unit functioned correctly afterwards ( the media library recompilled but quite quickly considering there are 1200 cd’s on the internal hard drive). It was a bit unnerving though, as when plugged back in, the WD logo appeared and the screen went blank and remained that way for about 20 seconds. However, the WD logo reappeared with the rebooting message and within 60 seconds everything was fine. I don’t know that WD would approve of this method, but all I want to do is listen to music, not become a techie!!  

If the player was not working there is nothing wrong with unplugging it and then plugging it back in. No doubt that would have been one of the solutions if you had posted your problem. I often unplug my player when I am not using it. What you saw when you plugged back in again was the normal rebooting procedure. You would also see that if you put the hub into deep standby by pressing the remote power off button for about 5 seconds and then brought it out of standby with the remote.