Wd tv live freezes when starting netflix movies

I have just purchased a WD TV Live (not hub) so I could stream Netflix. Unfortunately, Netflix seems to freeze about half the time when it loads a movie. The progress bar gets to about 25% and then nothing happens.

Pressing the Home button on the remote will make the device exit the Netflix app after some time. Then I can restart the app and try again, and it might work.

Netflix on PS3, ipad, ipod touch, and Windows phone all work fine on the same network.

I have installed the latest firmware 1.12.14. Netflix ESN WDBHG7000-8A09-3337-C8A9-05AD.

Additionally, I think starting the Netflix app is very slow. All other devices I have tried it on start up Netflix much faster than the WD TV Live. Coupled with the above problem it often takes me 10 minutes to start a movie. To be honest, I am not impressed. 

Any tips to make the Netflix experience on the WD TV Live better will be much appreciated.

Hello,

Have you tried resetting the media player? Also make sure to set the unit back to factory settings.

Reset to factory defaults seems to have reduced the problem. 

Immediately after the reset Netflix started in 17-20 seconds, and movies started playing in 10-15 seconds. And navigation was quick and didn’t seem as unresponsive as before.

After adding folders to the media library, the startup times and responsiveness suffered, especially while the device updates the library. But it is not as bad as before the reset, and it will start more than one show in Netflix without the reboot in between. That is the most important thing.

Thanks for the tip. I wouldn’t have tried that seeing as it is a completely new unit.