WD TV Live Firmware Update - Version 1.02.21

mugwump wrote:

hi,

i tried updating to this firmware version using a USB memory stick and it has ended up bricking the unit.  the unit won’t go past the WD logo page, and none of the buttons on the remote work, and the reset button on the unit doesn’t work either.  Can anyone advise me how to resolve this?

From WD Knowledge base.

My WD TV failed durring a firmware update, the WD logo is frozen on the screen, the unit requests a USB device with the latest firmware be inserted (with no effect), or the firmware update bricked my WD TV. What should I do?

Problem:

1. The WD TV is stuck on the WD Logo screen
  2. The WD TV requests a USB device be inserted to update the firmware (On the WD TV Live)

Cause:

These issues occur because the WD TV’s firmware is not loading properly. They can be caused by the firmware not properly installing (often caused by a corrupted download), being interrupted during the firmware update process, or because of physical damage to the device. This issue most frequently occurs when updating firmware on an already damaged unit.

Resolution:

1. First make sure the unit is plugged directly into a wall socket and not a power strip or UPS.
  2. Next, try unplugging the unit for 30 seconds, and plugging it back in.
  3. If you are still unable to reach the GUI, try resetting your WD TV.

This has happened to me during an upgrade and my unit was not 'bricked' it simply could not read the info from the USB drive. I recycled the power and it went into a recovery mode (I believe this only happens if you took the .14 firmware or above). You could then try again and if that does not work recycle power and put USB drive in second port. If that does not work try another USB drive. Note that the update drive must only include the 3 files ver, fff, bin which must be in the root of the drive with no other drives connected.

dominic wrote:

What I find really peculiar is that for a company that has been known to seed pre-release firmware in order to test compatibility issues (as they did with 1.02.14 in February), WD declined to release another beta for 1.02.21 so that the loyal WD community could test it out and report back any issues in advance of a wider public release.

I too will be giving this update a miss.

They did a pre-release called 1.02.19.

Strange…

After I did the upgrade I noticed that there was a 

“Securely Share” item on the network sambs share option.

I entered a user name and password but while I could

then access the attached usb drive I could not transfer or delete

any files on the attached usb drive, it had become read only.

In desperation I pressed the reset button and the machine rebooted.

When I started restoring the 'Securely Share" option was no longer

there ( just yes or no for shareing the usb device).

Selecting yes allowed me to read and write the usb drive…

My usb drvie is hfs+ formatted. 

After the reset the video option shows many option when

pointed at the usb drvie ( All Videos, Folder, Date, etc…)

I did not see these rascals before,…

I feel like I have entered the twilight zone.

Jerry

RobDeep wrote:

Same here. Seems like DTS mkvs are totally hosed. I get audio for a bit, then it cuts out until I power cycle my a/v receiver. Other mkvs with DTS don’t play audio at all.

Really disappointing firmware… wtf. Going back to the previous version

Have you tried resetting to factory defaults using the internal menu and recycling the power (leave it off for a few minutes). Sometimes this is needed when upgrading the firmware. I have had problems when upgrading but it always has been sorted by this means.

The only bug that I’m still experiencing is the stuttering of Video files with MPG/MP3 Audio. Sometimes it’s bearable and sometimes it’s really not playable at all. The work around i did is to use mkvtoolnix to create MKV then i will put the Video but convert the audio to AC3 that solved all of my problems. i hope they can do a fix so that I would not bother converting anymore since the format is supposedly supported anyway… I suspect their MPG/MP3 Audio codec for Video Files is broken somehow because even in AVI, MKV or MP4 format with MPG/MP3 audio the problem is the same only by converting the audio to AC3 will fix the issue.

I have not tried unplugging or resetting to factory defaults. I will try that. Thanks.> richUK wrote:

RobDeep wrote:

Same here. Seems like DTS mkvs are totally hosed. I get audio for a bit, then it cuts out until I power cycle my a/v receiver. Other mkvs with DTS don’t play audio at all.

Have you tried resetting to factory defaults using the internal menu and recycling the power (leave it off for a few minutes). Sometimes this is needed when upgrading the firmware. I have had problems when upgrading but it always has been sorted by this means.

Ok, I finally just bought  one. I had 2 gen one WDTVs with all the hacks.

My system is simple 1T MyBook, Belkin N+ wireless usb adapter, Targus usb hub, WDTV-live, Windows 7 on all pcs. Out of the box everything ran…perfectly! Firmware updated on startup, no problems. I’m happy! Network setup was easy.  I’ve had problems with mkv files even using VLC so I try to get my stuff into mp4 format.

I played with the wired network setup my router indicated the WDTV Ethernet was 1Gigbit?

I’m thinking I need a wired NAS upgrade and another WDTV-Live for the bedroom TV.

WD team thanks for the update, support is way better for the Live compared to the first WDTV.

Subtitle size, location and sync, do not work for bluray .PGS subtitles (inside .m2ts video files). Please fix this…

I am having the same problem as many others.

I updated the firmware to 1.02.21 and I cannot connect to my  Synology NAS drive anymore. I am getting “This network share can not be accessed” message.  I downgraded to  1.01.24 but I am still getting the same error. I also performed  “reset to factory defaults” several times but this didn’t solve the problem either.

Don’t you test the frimaware thoroughly before releasing it to public. I spent my whole morning trying to fix this. What a waste of time. 

just wanted to say Thank You to WD. I like the product a lot, at least for me it’s working much better with the newer firmwares.

Someone said their WDTV Live updated automatically. I hope mine doesn’t. I like it the way it is.

Seems like WD has labored and brought forth a mouse with this firmware. There are much bigger problems to tackle than folder jpg’s, IMHO.

If the firmware bricked your unit, contact WD and tell them, and ask for a return shipment authorization. There are contact links on WD’s main web site.

Someone else said their unit works better than it used to. Glad to hear it. I wonder why they don’t all behave the same way, though.

And someone else said the support for this unit is better than for the original WDTV! Wow, that previous unit must have been a REAL P.I.T.A.

This support forum reminds me of the forum I used to visit to complain about my DirecTV R-15 DVR. What a pain that was, too. Most of the problems I experienced with that DVR were resolved after about two years of complaining, and it still is quirky. I don’t foresee keeping my WDTV Live that long. There are too many options coming out, like BluRay players that will connect to the internet and play Netflix videos on demand. WD has made noises about including Netflix someday, but that’s probably marketing talk intended to keep us from abandoning ship. We’ll see as time goes on.

I did the update last night and I immediately noticed a playback problem on some xvid files. Video did not play smoothly as it should. I have not tried my mkvs with DTS sound yet. I will do a reset and factory defaults reset, if that does not work I will have to downgrade.

I have a problem playing .mp4 files after updating to the new firmware. This issue needs resolving asap. I cannot believe wdtv programmers aren’t more careful with updates after the last furore.

I have the exact same issue. Since upgrading I no longer have any artwork in Album mode . It only displays when I get to the individual songs, wheras it used to work fine

have the same problem

Slow playback after 5-10 min.

After firmware updated I resetted the box with side button, removed power. reset default.

Seemed to be working for half a day and now the problem is back

With previous firmwares I had problems connecting to share folders, but  at least I could watch the movies.

Now the connections are much better, but  I CANNOT ENJOY ANY MOVIE with this new bug.

Plus all my folders wont display thumbnails anymore.

I have allways defended the WDTV Live but now I’m really fed up.

How come It gets worst every update !?

How is it possble that for one corrected problem more bugs comes out ?!

Bad Product and even worst support ! Booo ;(

If film I ovecome it during a playback the FF(Fast Forward) button afterwards the NEXT button, rides slowly the video!
Super!

Thanks!

I did the factory reset/unplug. It appears it is fixed, for now.  Time will tell. I was able to play about 50% through a DTS MKV last night before the audio started dropping out completely.> I’ll report back. Thanks> * * *
richUK wrote:

RobDeep wrote:

Sigh… audio started dropping out after about 2 hours of play. This time DTS mkvs and DD5.1 - So much for this firmware. 

Well. Up until now I saw my freenas with pictures and movies, I could stream from Win 7 machines. Not anymore. There is no media in the current folder that is all I get. Any help would be appreciated. I redid my user names and password still no media.

Thank You

PlayOn  seems to have stopped working after the upgrade.