WD TV Live Firmware Update - Version 1.02.21

I just updated my device and it seems working  fine, except that it remembers only the username and password from the last accessed pc (I have two pc’s with samba shares).

Problem are real, and this forum is here for that, don’t read it if you dont like it!

Sliderman wrote:

I’d also like to say thanks for the new firmware.

With all the naysayers and critics on this forum, I’m surprised WD haven’t dropped this product.

I had problems with the original firmware my unit came with, but each release (or pre-release) has addressed each of them.

I now have a box that can stream all the video types I have from either my USB, NAS or shares.

Sure there will always be issues with firmware, but I guess if you’re not patient enough to wait 10 seconds while an MKV starts, you sure as hell won’t be patient enough to wait a couple of weeks for a new firmware release.

So thankyou again WD for my continued viewing pleasure.

Sean.

There is a big issue for me in this release. I have two PC with WinXP with shares. If i give the username/pw and after i go to other PC to play something, the WD LIVE forget the previous username/pw. WD can memorize only one username/password for one PC. This is very unconfortable, if you have more than one PC in your network with shares. This was the same situation in prerelease. So i had to downgrade to 1_01_24 again. :frowning:

This issue ( AC3 2.0 decoded as PCM) is not fixed in this release:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/General-Discussions/AC3-in-TS-Files-Transport-Streams-played-in-PCM-2-0-why/td-p/16662

WD TV Live Firmware Update - Version 1.02.21

youtube no problem good work

network no problem good work

1.01.24 Firmware no problem good work but

Firmware Update - Version 1.02.21

WD ellite 1 tb hdd not workinkg (ntfs format)

Charlesbuzz wrote:

Problem are real, and this forum is here for that, don’t read it if you dont like it!

Agreed! I don’t know why some people want to jump in and defend the corporations from its users, who are getting hurt by their sorry products. 

If the firmware makes your unit work better, I’m happy for you. But I’m still afraid to apply the new firmware, based on the other stories I’m reading now.

I thought i’d better register and give my opinion on the latest release.

There seems to be a few people having issues with v1.02.21 but for me:

youtube works great now.

network functions are improved

.mkv & .mp4 video / audio sync is greatly improved.

One thing i always do to ensure the new firmware operates as it should:

PERFORM A FACTORY RESET AFTER UPGRADE.

Well done WD, this is definetly a step in the right direction for the WDTV Live.

:slight_smile:

Let me add one more thing (to the excellent advice of doing a factory reset): Don’t fix what isn’t broken (this goes for us WD Users – the firmware programmers (should) already know this.

If your Live is working well for you there’s no need to upgrade UNLESS there’s a particular new feature you must have.  Read the feature list (it’s on the upgrade page) and don’t assume that anything not listed there is fixed because it ain’t (they aren’t going to fix something and not announce it).

Obviously those who have major issues have less to lose than those of us for whom the Live is working well (for me, only the thumbnail share issue remains) but even those people need to consider carefully when performing an upgrade of anything.  And, as we’ve all seen written about on this and other threads, you CAN downgrade if things are worse for you.

(For now I’m holding off and following my own advice :>)

zahni wrote:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/General-Discussions/AC3-in-TS-Files-Transport-Streams-played-in-PCM-2-0-why/td-p/16662

If it’s not in the release notes, it hasn’t been fixed.

There is an acknowledged thread in the Ideas Lab about it but so far less than a handful of votes (I’ve just added mine!):

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Ideas/Closed-Caption-and-Dolby-Digital-pass-through/idi-p/11191

Is everything else working for you?

Upgraded FW to 1.02.21:

Almost everything is working as it should. Pulling up network shares have been much quicker since the upgrade, haven’t had to wait for 15-20 seconds for the folders to show up.

I understand you have to take care of issues one step at a time, and while there are no real breakthrough features in the current upgrade, I’m glad to see WD is working on improving the product. There are a lot of small things that would make life alot easier, i.e. auto switch video output based on the file (23.976hz vs 24hz vs 60hz, etc) but I notice that they are working on that and all the other features, so I’m really glad to have purchased this product!

Looking forward to future firmware upgrades! The sooner the better :slight_smile:

How do you get the up/down arrow keys to position subtitles?

After doing the upgrade I can still play files on the attached USB drive ( hfs+ formatted) BUT

I cannot transfer files via wireless from either my mac or my linuxbox TO the wdtvlive device.

I have enabled auto login and have set a user name and password in the network settings.

Can anyone think of any reason why the attached USB drive has become read only?

Jerry

PixelPower wrote:

zahni wrote:

If it’s not in the release notes, it hasn’t been fixed.

There is an acknowledged thread in the Ideas Lab about it but so far less than a handful of votes (I’ve just added mine!):

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Ideas/Closed-Caption-and-Dolby-Digital-pass-through/idi-p/11191

Is everything else working for you?

Hi, I don’t think this is good for the “idea” section, because this is bug. Before, I had owned a realtek based Player wihtout this problem (and a fine dvd player too :wink: ). But, i was disappointed about the picture quality over HDMI (always too dark). The  picture quality is fine with the Sigma-Chipset from WD TV Live.

Other problems ? I see on my ID4 DVD Iso-Backup after some minutes artefacts and then a black screen.

This DVD contain to versions of this movie (cinema and special edition).

Hello,

after the update to V1.02.21 my WD player was not able to logon to my 2 NAS devices.

After downgrading to V1.01.24 all was working fine.

How to downgrade:

download V1.01.24 from: http://www.wdc.com/global/webtracking/index.asp?id=1105&url=http://download.wdc.com/wdtv/wdtvlive_1_01_24.zip

Edit the file: wdtvlive.ver

VERSION=‘1.01.24’
LOCATION=‘wdtvlive.bin’
PKG_LOCATION=‘wdtvlive.pkg’

change 1.01.24

to 1.02.22

This way you fool de Media player.

Put the download and edited file on a USB stick and connected this stich to your WD HD TV device. Disconnect the Network.

Downgrade your device, then all will work again.

Now you will have the message problem “new firmware”, how can we skip this??

Regards,

Ronald

WD Please test before release!!!

oldguy1 wrote:

Press Up and Down during playback.

If it’s not working, try a factory reset.  I press the side button to reset, let it boot, then I do a factory reset via the setup menu to be doubly sure.  Overkill?  Yes!  But at least I know it’s done for sure.  :D

Sometimes features don’t kick-in until you’ve done that.  That in itself seems to be a bug in the firmware update process…

Updated this time via the WDTV network - all went smoothly with the usual multiple reboots and stressful moments!

Everything working OK and there was no need to reset to factory defaults. All my settings were retained.

With regard to movie thumbnails I only noticed that it took a long power off (disconnected from power supply) to show up on top of the movie - obviously the thumbnails still appear twice - once as a .jpg and one on top of the movie (so no change there) (this was via network shares - which I tend to use the most - and no I don’t have any drop-outs)

I find that you need a degree of patience with this unit and that pays off with reduced stress. I have not found anything yet that cannot be overcome by resetting to factory defaults or recycling the power. I guess I am lucky as like others I have found that the best container to use is .mkv and therefore I use the quick and easy mkvmerge to put them into that container.

Hopefully WD is now working on all the other bugs which have been mentioned!!!

oldguy1 wrote:

Press the up and down keys on the remote but be aware that this does not work on the standard DVD subtitles (Vobsub).

More info…

I replaced the USB (HFS+) formatted drive with a ‘Fat’ usb stick and the usb stick mounts

as ‘read only’.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Jerry

TheTooleMan wrote:

Charlesbuzz wrote:

Agreed! I don’t know why some people want to jump in and defend the corporations from its users, who are getting hurt by their sorry products. 

That’s because people are being rude to ordinary working stiffs like you and everybody else - not the big corporations.

Guys thanks for posting the rollback instructions to 1.01.24.  Worked perfectly, and my device is working the way it was before.  Like several others here, after upgrading, I could no longer see any media files in my NAS network shares (No Media Found).  At least the rollback is easy, fast, and painless.