WD TV Live Firmware Pre-release Update

Thanks for helping guys… I’m now back to 1.24 and Happy(ish) again.

Well you know what, I give WD kudos for listening to users’ complaints and releasing more frequent firmware updates.  I even applaud them for releasing beta firmware for us to test out.  Hopefully this is just another one of their many “missteps” and the next stable or beta firmware will actually FIX problems, rather than cause a multitude of more problems.  As it is the beta firmware is completely unusable!!!  It won’t brick your unit but it won’t let it play any media so really what kind of a firmware update is this supposed to be?  It just doesn’t work WD!

Minor bug with 1.02.14.

Previously in Preview mode, when a video was selected and the preview started to play, you could stop the preview by pressing Stop. Now Stop is disabled, and you have to press Enter, then Stop. 

Btw I like that you can now continue to play a movie straight from where preview currently is…

Also thank you for the bigger subtitle fonts and .PGS subtitles, really great additions!

I don’t know whether somebody else did already post it:

Minor Bug: All my videos do not play if preview is activated in the options menu

Nasty Bug: In .ts file WDTV does not passthrough AC3 although it digital output is activated. It is some PCM audio passed to the AV-Receiver.

I tested the new Beta and I found two issues so far. Fast Forward displays the video at the expected rapid pace with 2x and 4x. It stops displaying with 8x. Then the most awful behavior, the video starts displaying back from the place where the fast-forward was started. Am I doing something wrong? I expect the movie to start playing from where the fast-forward was when pressing Play to stop the fast-forwarding. Does one need to press some other button?

A second issue is when stopping Play, and re-starting does not begin where it was stopped before. It is much earlier, like a minute or two earlier. I could see starting from the earlier full frame, but not so far before it was stopped… Al

After having the previous WD Media Player for over a year, I purchased the WD Live yesterday.  Checking for firmware updates, found the prerelease (no longer available on WDC0).  After reading the comments here, can anyone tell me which - if any - version I should upgrade to?  Current firmware on the unit is 1.01.00.

Thanks!

Yemble wrote:

I am very annoyed that WD have pulled this beta before I had a chance to download it … WHY???

Anyone who wants it can find it here: [text deleted - no unofficial downloads please] 

Because its a beta not a final version. They released it. We checked it, found some bugs. End of test. Now they are fixing those bugs and will release a new one.

Then we test it, etc.

1 Like

MatthewS wrote:

Its incredible isnt it that WD can’t seem to do anything right with the WDTV Live. Every new firmware breaks something.

This is a beta test - people are encouraged to check it out and report errors in an adult manner,[text deleted - please keep it courteous] 

1 Like

When is this beta firmware getting released as final?  I’m having so many playback issues with my mpv files that its making me so frusturated.  I can’t even watch a mobie.  The fast forward options dont work, if I fast forward to 16x for some time, the time line thing doesnt move, and it wont play once u hit play.  It will show that dam blue loading screen and I have to pull the power chord.

THis unit is horrible, and I need some firmware updates! I cant take it

Not sure if this issue exists in the non-beta firmware(s), but in the beta there is an annoying delay of around 15-20 seconds between each track when playing back MP3s from a network share.

The beta still drops the network every 30 minutes when playing back from the WRT610N media server.

However, it does not drop the network when playing back MP3s from a network share on the WRT610N.

aljimenez wrote:

I tested the new Beta and I found two issues so far. Fast Forward displays the video at the expected rapid pace with 2x and 4x. It stops displaying with 8x. Then the most awful behavior, the video starts displaying back from the place where the fast-forward was started.

I have just experienced the same thing, though this is the first time I have noticed it. This was on an mkv style file, codex  av1  and audio mp4a (according to VLC) and a frame rate of 23.97!!!

This does not seem to happen to divx videos.

wongnog wrote:

… As it is the beta firmware is completely unusable!!!  It won’t brick your unit but it won’t let it play any media so really what kind of a firmware update is this supposed to be?  It just doesn’t work WD!

Try to be factual. This firmware works fine for certain types of media. It is NOT unusable depending on what setting you have. Also it is not a firmware upgrade it is beta.

Why can’t people understand that point? If you have an issue with it, post the bug politely with clear explanations of the set-up, codex used etc. This is useful inforamtion for WD to look at. “It just doesn’t work WD” ain’t going to fix anything.

If you want to winge about firmware quality start a new thread. As Bill said in post 1 of this thread,

Feel free to install it, but be aware this is beta firmware that we are still testing, so use it at your own risk. 

Please post your experiences to this thread.

Experience - not opinion.:robotmad:

1 Like

aac codec issue (mp4/mkv)

Ok, we’ve finished testing this one - get a new prerelease out guys :slight_smile:

Anyone else have Subtitles set to be always ON?

Seems like several times since installing the prerelease I’ve had to go back into the settings and re-set it to ON (and not just after a factory reset ;)).

Only an issue if you watch a lot of foreign language films / anime and you have to scramble to enable subs once the dialogue starts.

It’s not a critical bug (and I’m having trouble recreating the circumstances that trigger it) but was wondering if anybody else had noticed this?

i would have spent more time testing…but alas…it takes forever for the movie to launch if at all on this f/w

if microsoft gave you a beta os that may or may not boot your machine its kinda hard to test it :wink:

edit:

and by the way…the release notes mentioned a lot of windows 7 stuff…compatibility etc…

i have NOT had any issues with networking or sharing via windows 7 x64, even on  v1.01.00.

i am on .24 now and everything still works fine.

pls dont break anything thats working… :wink:

1 Like

Forgive me if this is a duplicate as I’m not going to take the time to read all 14 pages.

When using a DLNA controller to play a video from a DLNA server onto the WD TV HD Media Player, the audio plays in the background, but the player stays on the menu. A hack to work around this is to first choose a picture, then use the DLNA controller to launch the video. This will show the video/audio, but with the view picture controls.

When playing audio files, you will hear the audio, but again it stays on the menu.

Tested using pre-release firmware ( http://www.twitter.com/srader). With the following
DLNA Controllers: Windows 7 Play To, iPhone PlugPlayer
DLNA Servers: Tversity, Windows XP Media Center, Windows 7, iOmega Home Media Network Drive
DLNA Renderer: WD TV HD Media Player current production and pre-release firmware

Steps to re-produce error:
1: Place a video file on a DLNA server
2: Un-plug all USB devices from the WD TV HD, ensure network cable is plugged in and that you can play the file using Video->Media Servers → [Your DLNA Server] → [Your Folder] → [Your Video File]
3: Power off WD TV HD
4: Power on WD TV HD so that it is sitting at the main menu
5: Using any DLNA controller, chose your DLNA Server and then the WD TV HD as your DLNA Renderer
6: Choose the same video file used in Step #2 and press play
You will hear the video playing, but still see the main menu

I have some troubles with new feature. In this prerelease WD added support to play QT mjpeg  format.

(Format                           : M-JPEG

Codec ID                         : jpeg

Duration                         : 11s 500ms

Bit rate mode                    : Variable

Bit rate                         : 13.2 Mbps

Width                            : 848 pixels

Height                           : 480 pixels

Display aspect ratio             : 16:9

Frame rate mode                  : Constant

Frame rate                       : 30.000 fps

Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 1.082

Stream size                      : 18.1 MiB (100%)

Language                         : English) 

Some time video freezes. If i’ll start to play another video - WDTV shows Error message and reboots itself.

Have you done a factory reset since installing the firmware?  Annoying (since it wipes your settings) but it does sometimes cause the firmware to behave better.

So far, the beta release has not fixed what I consider to be the most critical issue: reliability.

The WDTV Live still only connects to network shares when it feels like it. For some reason, it connects fine and than a few hours later it wont. Very frustrating. When I want to watch a movie, I want to have confidence in a device to the point that I know when I sit down with the remote control, it is gonna turn on, connect, and play a movie on my TV!

Problems noted with the pre-release so far:

• Unaccepable delay when attempting to play mkv file (also occured with mp4 and avi).

• At times, device won’t play any file - just sits with a blank screen.

• Device locked up and became completely unresponsive while browsing network share (had to unplug).

-  Can’t watch the videos I want on YouTube because of restrictions with set top boxes it says (useless).

I realize this is a pre-release and not final, but don’t release something that is gonna be slightly worse or no better than what we had.

How hard is it to have the device reliabally connect to network shares and stream mkv files? That seems to be the major problem and what consumers desire the most.

I really need a networked media device for upstairs but at this point WD isn’t getting anymore money from me. The Popbox with its apps and proven reputation from the Popcorn hour is looking nice and cant wait for its upcoming release.