WD TV Live Firmware Pre-release Update

First point to note on the 1.02.14 firmware pre-release update is that my network share authentication details were wiped out after the update and the WDTV Live would not connect to my Samba share. I had to switch ‘Auto login to network share’ to Off, clear the login info and re-input.

It now takes 75 seconds or longer before playback of a large MKV starts. I am playing files from a Samba network share over wired Ethernet. Never had this problem with previous releases.

My file server is a Fedora 12 box with Samba 3.4.5-55.

Up until now there are no  reports of problems with this firmware from the Greek WDTV Live community.

Will keep you posted.

Good:

For the first time I was able to get video from my Windows 7 without using media server

Bad:

Using this firmware, I was not able to get any Youtube video using personal list, search, or most popular list

Just a suggestion for the beta testing group that can improve feedback and the overall rate of improvement.  I would use Directv “cutting edge” program as an example.  They provide thorough details and rules for downloading, feedback, and communication of problems with the “beta” firmware.  It provides specific rules and opt-in requirements to test the units, and a dedicated private forum for discussion of the “cutting edge” firmware.  It is expected when a beta firmware is downloaded that it is known that:

1. risk is involved

2. discussion and problem reporting is a requirement of downloading the firmware

3.  discussion of problems is limited to the private forum.

4. customer service is not called with problems with cutting edge firmware.

Benefits for WD and the enduser:

1.  Direct line of communication with specific users

2.  Knowledge of specific setups and specific problems with a multitude of setups

3.  Improved feedback through the dedicated forum

4.  Minimized calls to customer service

5.  Improved product with a wide range of users

Enduser:

1. Improved capabilities of the unit, with a sense of involvement in improving the product.

Anyways…great to see the beta firmware.

calimero100582 wrote:

Good:

For the first time I was able to get video from my Windows 7 without using media server

Bad:

Using this firmware, I was not able to get any Youtube video using personal list, search, or most popular list

Anyone else has problems with youtube?

whattheheck wrote:

Also, I repeat: What does  “Added European language input for keyboard.” mean?

Added how? No new letters show up on the keyboard?

There are no new letters on the keyboard but on certain letters you can press the option button and get more versions to appear above the keyboard.

WD staff thank you for this pre-release. Please continue your your work on improving this great media player.

richUK wrote:

whattheheck wrote:

Also, I repeat: What does  “Added European language input for keyboard.” mean?

Added how? No new letters show up on the keyboard?

There are no new letters on the keyboard but on certain letters you can press the option button and get more versions to appear above the keyboard.

Ah yes, thanks :slight_smile:

Exactely the great work I was looking for! Good job WD!

Only one note - it worth a factory default before this release! With previous setting (internal onces) it’s very slow.

After a fresh start, it’s realy good.

I will continue testing. It’s still too slow when accessing MKVs and M2TSs over Samba.

overall a pleasant surprise, finding this prerelease, alas, still missing an option to play video files in shuffle mode, still hoping that this will be implemented at some point, and earlier = better :smileyvery-happy:

1 Like

With this Version i cannot access any shared Samba Mounts on my Debian Server anymore !!  after testing the whole afternoon with settings, i give up … and wait for an better Version. 

Rolled Back to the 1.01.24 .  everthing works fine.

i cant save my setting of network  ip if i use wired direct to my laptop

benefit

Lrage size of fonts

thanks

WD—  It sounds like ya’ll may need a new version of the Manual after this update!  :)

I am curious what it means by “Added Windows 7 support.”

I’ve been using Windows 7 x64 Network Shares for the last month;  I wasn’t aware it wasn’t supported…  I never had a problem?

Anyone using this new firmware, does it fix any of those problems:

• srt subtitles showing way to high up

• WDTV not switching automatically to proper resolution/refresh rate based on the content eg: 50hz video to 50Hz 24Hz video to 24Hz

• magically disappearing network shares (appears after some time without reason)

• jpg files show up in Video over Network Shares - when going to videos over network shares mine is showing jpg files in the same folder as my mkv files ( I don’t even dream about proper library support)

Someone here said there is no shuffle for videos, who cares? There are much bigger issues to be fixed than that. Mine WDTV is getting dust because things I mentioned above make it unusable !!! WD People please take 20 minutes, look how XBMC is done and improve your product.

Thanks

ChapeL

Just installed 1.02.14 firmware.

In general this version works fine. I stream my files through LAN from my home pc (Windows 7 x64). I’ve never had any issues while playing files to my WD Tv Live, network drops etc.

First Impressions :

1. Major Bug with .mkv files. It takes a VERY long time start playing these files, HD or SD content doesn’t matter, but .avi files start without any delay.

2. LAN access is very fast now.

3. Larger Subtitle font sizes options is GREAT. In my opinion this is the most important update of this firmware. The only thing that needs to be added is while playing a movie to be able to adjust the subtitle position with the up and down keys, which are disabled while playing a movie.

4. .mp4 movie files are again out of sync with audio, needs to be fixed that.

5. I got the impression that video image is a little more darker than before. I’ll have to look at it more thorougly to be sure.

Well that’s it for now.

ChapeL wrote:

Anyone using this new firmware, does it fix any of those problems:

• srt subtitles showing way to high up

Check the list of things they have fixed http://www.wdc.com/wdtvlive_prerelease/

Ok, that’s it.

After waiting 20 minuttes!!! for an MKV to start playing (it didn’t) I reverted back to the last official firmware. Sorry guys, end of this test until you fix that.

well the delay is obvious…but not 20minutes!!!

For me, maximum delay 20-30 seconds.

When trying to browse my local workgroup or NAS I still get the same “There is no media in the current folder” message as with every other firmware version.

My Windows 7 and XP computers can all browse the workgroup (default “WORKGROUP”) and see the hosts within it and they can browse the shares on the NAS (OpenSolaris/EON CIFS based).

• For fast MKV opening through network shares don’t use anonymous login but a normal user/password (eg. test/test)

• For lower subtitles on the screen convert your srt etc. subtitle to .a-s-s format (Maybe .ssa works too. I had to add hyphens to the extension because of bad word filtering :smileyvery-happy: Anyway it works on any firmware)