WD TV Live Extern Hard Drive Issue!

Hi Guys.

I have had the WD TV Live for quite a while now, and so far no problems at all. But reasently I just bought a new extern hard drive  (Western Digital Essential 3 TB), and I can not get it to work on my WD TV Live.

When I plug it in the WD TV Live it doesn’t respond at all, and when I plug in another hard drive at the same time, I can see them both but I get the error “There is no media in the current folder” … So I have no idea why this is happening.

Anyone have a solution??

Which firmware revision are you using?  Large drives are not supported on most firmware versions… only the latest couple of firmware releases support large drives.

My Western Digital Essential 2TB I brought recently would not work untill I deleted the partition on it and made a new one, instructions are in the FAQ/knowledge pages if you need them.

Well, martinkuk, the 2TB issue you had would have been that the drive came formatted as GPT and not MBR, and the firmwares at the time did not support GPT at all.  But once you go past the 2TB “cap”, you can not use MBR… the OP wouldn’t be able to format the 3TB drive as MBR… the only real option would be to upgrade to a firmware that supports GPT drives.

Now, if the OP is using 1.05 or 1.06 and the 3TB drive still isn’t being recognized, then that’s a different story altogether.

RoofingGuy wrote:

Well, martinkuk, the 2TB issue you had would have been that the drive came formatted as GPT and not MBR, and the firmwares at the time did not support GPT at all.  But once you go past the 2TB “cap”, you can not use MBR… the OP wouldn’t be able to format the 3TB drive as MBR… the only real option would be to upgrade to a firmware that supports GPT drives.

Now, if the OP is using 1.05 or 1.06 and the 3TB drive still isn’t being recognized, then that’s a different story altogether.

???  Only had the drive a few days and my WD Live had 1.06.15v installed, so if it was GPT it should have been usable - but the WD would not accept the drive and would not load at all (USB light on WD Live would not even start flashing to try reading the drive), all fine after deleting the partition and creating a new one.

:smiley:

How odd.  I thought the 2TB Elements thing was a GPT issue.  My mistake.

When it did not load I searched the FAQ/knowledge and found this page

Here is a question I have.  I have a WD TV Live Hub as well as a 3tb My Book Essential.  When I am taking my Blu Rays and putting them onto the My Book its faster to directly connect the My Book to my computer rather than via network.  My issue comes with my Live Hub recognizing those movies.  I am a little confused with regard to the whole ‘sync’ option as it appears to make duplicates of movies and I have to go through a painful process of altering the name, deleting the duplicate…etc.  Is there something I am doing wrong?

Hi all,

I upgraded my WD TV Live plus player to latest firmware available on web 1.06.16 and now its recognising my 3 TB WD drive and playing files from that properly.

regards

GS