WD TV Live Android app - very intermittent connection

I am having the same problem as many other posters on this forum.  I just bought a WD TV Live box (gen 3) and updated to the latest firmware. It is connected wirelessly to my home network.  I can reliably connect from my Android using the IP address in my browser so I know the network connection path must be okay, but the WD TV Live app works VERY sporadically.  The first night I installed the app it worked flawlessly for about 30 minutes. Since then I’ve only got it to work for a few seconds here and there. “No device found” 99% of the time.    I’ve tried the usual reboots, recycles, etc without success.  I have seen a number of posts here with basically the same problem but I have not yet seen any definitive solutions. I’ve also tried the WDLxTv from JULIOJS without success.  Could this be a problem with the WD TV Live box firmware rather than the smartphone app(s)?    Or perhaps a problem with some smartphone service like DLNA?  Too bad. When it works, the app is far better than the supplied remote.

Try connecting the WDTV using a wired connection and check if the same problem continues.

I had the same problem, but it was the router’s fault. The Thompson router treated the WiFi network and wired network seperately, causing the above described problems. Once both the computer and WDTV player were on the same network, everything was fine. I am now using a TP-Link router without any problems.

After experimenting for several days I have finally isolated (sort of) the problem but I am not yet sure why it happens or how to fix it.   To recap, I am using the Live TV box over Wifi. With my Android I can always use the remote function through the browser by typing in the IP address. No problem there.  Using the WD Live TV app, I get no devices found.   If I unplug the power to the Live TV box then replug the app works fine all day.   The next morning, no device found again.  Unplugging and replugging the Live TV box then allows the Live TV app to work for the rest of the day.  Nothing else restores the connection, not even  rebooting the Android or turning the wireless capability off and on.   I am not sure what causes this behaviour but I suspect it has something to do with the Android turning the data function off during the night. I have it set to turn off the data from midnight to 8AM. Why that should result in this problem I don’t know especially since I can always connect to the WD TV box via the IP address. I would think that the app would rescan for the WD TV box every time it starts but perhaps not.  I am now changing the settings on my Android to never shut the data off to see if the connectivity still remains the following morning.

I’ve found that if I don’t back out of the app and the phone times out (screen off) when I go back to it it doesn’t work so I uninstall and reinstall the app and its fine. Try exiting the app rather then letting the phone time out with the app open. Works for me

BTW, what router are you using?

Trendnet TEW-691GR

FlexTech wrote:

I’ve found that if I don’t back out of the app and the phone times out (screen off) when I go back to it it doesn’t work so I uninstall and reinstall the app and its fine. Try exiting the app rather then letting the phone time out with the app open. Works for me

I was around at a friend’s place and went to show him how the app worked on his WDTV SMP.  The app couldn’t see it!

I reinstalled the app and all worked well.

Maybe you need to reinstall the app?

I have several times, whenever I forget to back out of the app it doesn’t find the device until I uninstall and reinstall. All is well as long as you back out of the app rather then let the phone time out running the app as far as I found