WD TV live and NAS and router not working together?

• Linksys WRT350N router assigned static IP, cat5e hardwired;

• Mediasonic RAID+ NAS storage, assigned static IP, all in the basement hardwired cat5e to a router; 

• TVs and BR players, PS3, Xbox, with assigned static IPs, cat5e hardwired;

• 2 PCs (dualboot XP and Ubuntu linux), 1 PC (dualboot Vista and Ubuntu linux), 1 PC (dualboot W7 and Ubuntu linux) and 1 Mac (dualboot Leopard and XP), all rolling IPs; cat5e hardwired and WiFi;

• all computers and other hardware can see and communicate with each other on the WORKGROUP.

• but not the WD TV live, it can go for firmware update from internet, I can see it from any PC,

• it can see the NAS storage name, I don’t know how, since never asked for IP address?

• but can not access anything on that NAS HDD

My son called WD tech support, they sad the router and the NAS is too old ?! cmon!

anyway, to many related questions here on the forum, but not seeing the straight forward…

wondering anybody put a sticky somewhere, how to set this thing right?

attilab wrote:

• Linksys WRT350N router assigned static IP, cat5e hardwired;
  • Mediasonic RAID+ NAS storage, assigned static IP, all in the basement hardwired cat5e to a router; 
  • TVs and BR players, PS3, Xbox, with assigned static IPs, cat5e hardwired;
  • 2 PCs (dualboot XP and Ubuntu linux), 1 PC (dualboot Vista and Ubuntu linux), 1 PC (dualboot W7 and Ubuntu linux) and 1 Mac (dualboot Leopard and XP), all rolling IPs; cat5e hardwired and WiFi;
  • all computers and other hardware can see and communicate with each other on the WORKGROUP.
  • but not the WD TV live, it can go for firmware update from internet, I can see it from any PC,
  • it can see the NAS storage name, I don’t know how, since never asked for IP address?
  • but can not access anything on that NAS HDD

My son called WD tech support, they sad the router and the NAS is too old ?! cmon!

anyway, to many related questions here on the forum, but not seeing the straight forward…

wondering anybody put a sticky somewhere, how to set this thing right?

Support is a joke, if your router is too old then what’s about my WRT54GL ???

If you can go to internet or see the NAS name then your WDTV has an IP address, You should check on the router side. WDTV live network is in DHCP by default that is why it connect.

As soon as a device has an IP the router part of the router is not involved anymore in the loop for LAN access. Only the switch part is involved, that is why most of my devices are connected in gigabit despite having a 100mb router. All devices are connected on a Gb switch itself connected to the router. So if you have an IP the router has done it’s job and is not too old.

That said, I’ve assigned a static ip for the wdtv live on the router side (based on the mac address) to prevent him (router rule) to access to the wdtv live update site as I don’t wan’t my childrens launching the update by mistake (the WDTV checks for updates every time you start it…).

Now, what do you use to browse the network with the wd ?, media server (dlna) or network shares (samba) ?. If you see only the NAS then I suspect that your NAS is perhaps hosting a DLNA server and tha you are so using the media server option. ?

David, from an old country using an old router with an old NAS but having nearly no issue using the WD in DLNA

in my NAS setup (Mediasonic NAS RAID+) page, the

• DHCP server is Enabled (in the network information tab)

• Samba server is Enabled (in the service information tab)

the NAS drive has an assigned static IP (192.168.110 in my case, on WORKGROUP environment)

in my router (Linksys WRT350N) setup page,

• I can not see anaything about DNLA

Man, why do you use static addresses when you have a DHCP server in your LAN enabled?

One reason to use static addresses is that typically DHCP assignments get re-done after a period of time and causes a blip and possibly a change of ip address and I do not want either of these situations. Most of my numerous devices on my network have permanent fixed ip addresses. I can reach them reliably by either their name or their ip address. I recommend everyone to use static ip addresses for their permanent devices in their network…  Al