WD TV Live 2011 / SMP won't mount HDDs

Anyone else have this problem?  I try to mount my Hitachi 3 TB drive, and it just crashes the WD TV.  Even with Media Library turned off. 

Then I try my Hitachi 1 TB, which never had any problems with my WD TV first gen, only to find it won’t mount it period either.  Just like the drive doesn’t exist.

Using most up to date firmware.

Weird, I’m using a 3 TB drive with my WD TV SMP. I have read your other post, you might have a bad WD TV, it is not reading none of your drive and it freezes

Why don’t you exchanged?

I have two drives both wd , one is 3tb and other 1.5tb … My SMp reads the 3tb but will not read 1.5 tb . My gen 1 wd player has been reading 1.5 wd drives for 2 years . Not sure why this is ?

One isue i had is that the SMP, it seems sensitive to hard drives that have been pulled, without ejecting, it is a royal pain!! 

you have to put the drive on a laptop or such, and run a basic disk check, then its fine, 

Thanks guys.   I have returned this unit today back to Tiger Direct.

I am trying to decide on trying another WD TV SMP, or going for the AIOS Home Theater Center now.

I love my WD TV first gen, but this experience has been pretty frustrating to me, and I don’t think I will have the same brand loyalty to WD anymore on this.  :frowning:

edit:  Does the SMP power down the external drive when it’s power is turned off?

planthead wrote:

One isue i had is that the SMP, it seems sensitive to hard drives that have been pulled, without ejecting, it is a royal pain!! 

you have to put the drive on a laptop or such, and run a basic disk check, then its fine, 

Thanks for your post it was very helpful,i had the same issues and thought the hard drive was stuffed or the smp.

I had been using a wd tv 1st gen which spun the drives down on shut down, so now that i have fixed the drives on the pc and make sure to eject them when i`m finished i have no problems.p.s this only seemed to affect drives formatted to ntfs my fat32 formatted drive worked fine no matter what.Thanks again.  

“edit:  Does the SMP power down the external drive when it’s power is turned off?”

Quickly pressing the power button: Puts it at some sort of Standby Mode
Pressing and holding the power button for a few seconds will power down the HDD