WD TV HD Media Player WD00AVN-00 -WON'T POWER UP

My player stopped working the other day. It won’t turn on at all. 

When I first apply power the 2 lights on the front panel flash on for less than half a second, then off.
Nothing.  It won’t power up. 
I’ve left it unplugged up to 24 hours, no change.

Firmware was updated once, I think to Release 1.02.07 back in 2009. No problems until now.

Any ideas of what’s happened and how to fix it?

rwbehne1 wrote:

Any ideas of what’s happened

It died from old age  :smileyvery-happy:

rwbehne1 wrote:

how to fix it?

It could be a faulty power supply adaptor ?

Or… it could be the capacitors … check with an ESR meter 

(you will have to dismantle the unit, but don’t worry … it’s well of it’s warranty period)

If you don’t have an ESR meter … then replace all the capacitors using a soldering iron .(same values, same polarity (if you get the polarity wrong then *puff* smoke, so be careful)

Also you can check underneath the heatsink, to make sure the heat compound has’nt dried up.

guts_600.jpg

Honestly though, i think you should consider upgrading.  

(i still have my old Gen1, works fine … but never gets used (No DTS 2.0 downmix, poor Reference Frame support,no networking etc)

1 Like

I don’t have an ESR meter, and it’ll be **bleep** trying to find capacitors here in the Philippines. I suppose I could find them online but by the time I’ve bought them, paid for shipping, then pay the tarif imposed at the post office here, it’s gonna be close to the replacement cost of upgrading, so the rational and logical solution is to simply upgrade to the latest unit.  I’ll enjoy a new one more anyway! Thanks for the insight!

no probs … i recommend either the older  WDTV Live Streaming (SMP) or  The newer  WDTV Media Player  [virtually the same as the SMP but, without netflix)

The is the WDTV Live Streaming (SMP)

This is the New WDTV Media Player