WD TV freezing all over the world: List of solutions

@Mr.Pink

I agree with what you’re saying. WD should get in front of this and let everyone know what’s up. Transparency and what-have-you. I would even accept a post on this forum to the tune of “hey, we know there’s this issue, we’re working on it.” I also agree that WD needs to pick up their socks in a lot of areas.

Still, though, WD has been good to me. RMA’d a few things with them and had positively wonderful experiences. Loads of hard drives, and Greens, and Blacks, and now Reds, and even a Raptor drive over the years. As far as pumping up out great hard drives goes, they’re bang on. As for everything else… maybe it’s just naivety? They got into something they weren’t prepared for? I don’t know.

On the issue at hand: it’s sucky that the downgrade/upgrade route is out. As for a general solution… it seems that there isn’t really one. Right now I’ve got my box cut off from the interwebz and it’s still freezing. Other people shut off some “homephone” thing that I can’t find for the life of me and they’re golden. Others flip the DNS and off they go. It seems very odd that there’s no one solution that works. Oh well, I suppose. Hopepfully WD reads this thread and a few others at least.

2.02.32 has been out for over a year now, why is it just now starting to cause issues with freezing? I know I’m late to the conversation, but I just now started to investigate the issue.

I had about 6 of these throughout my house and they’ve all been bricked by the freezing problems. I’ve been sending them all in to squaretrade, now I know it’s a software issue (maybe?). Tell you what though, misery loves company - I thought it was unbelievable that they all started failing, one after another. I really really really hope that WD releases a fix because this is destroying my fully networked home audio system.

The problem has apparently been identified by users in another topic.

the unit is trying to connect to a WD page which does`t exist anymore:
http://www.wdtvlive.com/wsapps/appservice.svc/json/browseapp7

This cuses the unit to hang up. The issue would be easily fixed by a new version of firmware but WD does not respond to our requests

regards

Found two more topics about this:

https://community.wd.com/t/cause-freezing-found-wd-please-put-this-site-back-on-line-asap

Blocking the device in the router work for me 1 week freeze free.

@Vmorales: Now that’s an interesting piece of business, and something that could be easily remedied.

WD? Hello, McFly?

after 36 hours with the 127 dns trick one out of three boxes produced the “low memory” error message!i am expecting the other two boxes to produce the same message in the next hours.■■■■

EDIT i am trying now the other trick.i blocked the site that causes the problem all together via my routers menu “block sites”
lets see

Not a solution per se, but a workaround when serving NAS files:

I have had that same issue, I lost VuDu service and found that my box would not allow me to set the location. Everytime that I tried, the box said that I was not connected to the internet.