WD Sync and macOS High Sierra

I couldn’t find anything sensible about releases on the Apple website about High Sierra, just puff about how great it was.

Releasing a beta just after a full release wouldn’t be that unusual, I think; get the ‘good’ version out, and then start the next phase of beta testing (which will have been in parallel development).

Oh, I agree. And I’ve made exactly the same observation to the beta adopters on other threads, who complain it breaks access to their WD.

But then I’m a WD fanboy, remember…

This is common practice for Apple for over a decade or more … The GM is released and then updates are beta tested prior to their release …

Once again, the point is that WD is failing miserably here …

Apple is doing fine …

1 Like

A NAS is much more than just backups. I want it to backups, DLNA, PLex media server, sync folders, remote access. I don´t know too much about Time Capsule, but I am pretty sure that it can’t run Plex.

1 Like

Of course. But then any NAS does this, and the “Apple Time Capsule” is exactly that… an HD storage, attached by LAN and WAN networks, with the additional feature of added WifFi. As for Plex, thats a standard Mac feature with or without a NAS since any and all mac devices acts as a network server by default, sharing and updating media (handover files).

So the choice is the Apple product at 4x the price (with added WiFi).
Yes the WDcloud has dis-ease in use, clumsy and slow login…
The Apple Time Capsule is NAS for dummies who can afford it.

Today I suffer a new WD innovation… WD Sync has forcibly copied 4 folders, while at the same time, once again, is denying me permissions to view existing folders… Once again I will need to work around this, perhaps thru the dashboard or something, to get rid of Sync just to keep using it as a straightforward remote drive… I didn’t install Sync, I don’t like how it now prevents me accessing all the files I stored there, while showing me only their selected backups of recent files…

WD did answer anymore to my complain and told me to use other software to sync my file

Can you have find a third parties app to do the same things?

Cheers

Dude,

I am not going to get in a debate with you. But you clearly are misundertanding what a NAS is for and what a Time Capsule is for. If you want the WD My cloud just to do Time Machine backups than you don´t need a NAS, you would clearly be underusing the capabilities of your My Cloud on that case.
If a Time Capsule is enough for your needs, it doens’t mean that it would be enough for everyone else. I am pretty sure most people here want a complete NAS solution, with all capabilities of a NAS, not a router with HDs inside.

I didn´t understand what you mean by that, but a lot of people want a NAS to be a media server and use DLNA or Plex to stream movies and TV shows that are stored in the WD My cloud, directly to a smart TV or even to a tablet or a cell phone, without the need to use a computer. Tell me how can you stream videos that are in Time Capsule diretcly to your TV, since it doesn´t support DLNA and Plex.

Time Capsule is not a NAS. It can´t be used as a media server, it doesn´t support DLAN, and it doesn´t support apps. Time Capsule is closer to a router then to a NAS. There is no comparisson.

Thank you for that clarification my friend.

I refer to the OP
For her and others who depend on WD as a backup (and I thought all these devices are just formatted HDD used for storage or play data) the choice is to pay dear for the Mac drive, or go cheap for the WD (or even cheaper if you format a plain new harddrive).

So to sync a mac to a WD drive that is not dedicated to the latest mac OS then of course there will be problems, especially when a Beta that is not so back-compatible is released.

Mac has changed, it is much more compatible with other OS now, but any problem like this arises from the significant differences. To avoid such a problem, pay thru the nose, get the compatible Apple product and don’t complain to WD

Your opinion is appreciated. However, WD markets their NAS devices to sync with Macs. That (to me) is the issue.

FYI, file sync is not backup. File sync and file backup are different functions, serving different purposes. Use file sync in place of backup, and you will live to regret it.

There seems to be a new firmware update available (v.04.05.00-320)

But I still cannot connect to my private folder. It’s simply not showing. Only access possible is through the WDMycloud App, but that’s not enough. In the past, it was possible to connect iTunes with my iTunes Music folder on WDMyCloud automatically when starting iMac - that’s not the case anymore. I should mention that I have updated my machine to High Sierra - that’s when the trouble started.
You all seem to have a deep knowledge of these things and I hope can help me to solve it.
Btw - not a native speaker, so please bear with me…

Just to be clear; are you saying that, after updating to MacOS 10.13.2, WD Sync now works correctly on your machine?

+1
I had file sync on for about 5 minutes, took that long…
Backuo using the onboard Apple Time Machine App is really not behaving. Constant failed attempts.

Briefly, don’t know if its the High Sierra or something else, but WDcloud has been working quietly if slowly in the background for 5 years
-Reliable as time machine backup
-Great for plex media streaming, file storage (very very slow even on Gbit ethernet), it even works to store and stream my music thru iTunes…
-Works with my internet providers router And yes, the time capsule is faster, integrates the functions of router, NAS, media server, WiFi LAN & WAN
-WD cloud does all of this at a quarter the price of an Apple Time Capsule.

… now its cracking up. At first the dashboard would not open, folders were hidden… Thats fixed with the OS upgrade, backup resumed for a week, now its again not backing up.

I swear I have not meddled with any settings.

I ordered a testing device to see if WD could provide a data solution that we need at my company. Our 50% of employees are using Windows and 50% are using Mac with High Sierra. As they don’t support Mac Sierra they just lost $200K worth of first order!!

That’s a hit, but WD will just probably shrug their shoulders

Why are you thinking of buying consumer grade devices for a corporate application?

Go and buy some professional file servers with your $200k.

2 Likes

Hello there, if anyone still have the same problem, i just want to share my experiences and SOLUTION (to go the solutions step, please go down below). Or maybe someone new with the WD Cloud devices can go into the forum while searching the WD sync problem.

So i’ll start with my need and the problem i’ve faced. I’ve started to look for some cloud nas solution for my hugely spaced 4k videos and photos. While looking for some discount on amazon.de, Voila! A huge discount on amazon prime day for WD MyCloud Ex2Ultra 16TB as 388€. Bought it and started to configure it. Everything went well while connecting the nas folders as network drives to both mac and windows computers as well as the mobile phones sync. Also shared some small spaces with a friend that he can use that as a remote drive for himself and limit his access to only that folders with also a traffic limitation capability of WD device. It is blazingly fast. Than I wanted to completely get rid off google drive for some files that i want to sync between my computers even i am not at the same local network, like all of you… WD Sync failed on macos. I’ve tried any possible solution as well as some additional tricky shots like giving all file access to the WD Sync app and etc. No luck. I don’t want to blame Apple for that. But i also don’t want to blame WD Sync app team here. Because new versions of mac starting from 10.13 (also 10.14) have a lot of security improvements. As a developer, i even had a lot of problems with npm repository installs because of file access issues so many times due to the updated file structure of macos. So don’t wanna blame anyone here because of some limitations or improvements.

SOLUTION (Goodsync! and i am not a partner of Goodsync, but it works like a charm! WD Sync is not possible right now :confused: )
So i’ve started to research for additional solutions. Than i’ve seen the Goodsync app (for the first time) on the app store of WD MyCloud EX2Ultra panel. Installed itto the nas, created a “Goodsync connect account”, downloaded the mac app, logged in, created the task, select the folder on my computer to be synced, to select the server folder to be synced with my local folder, gone to Goodsync connect tab from left, hit servers button to find the available servers i have, find it and click it… Unfortunately it gave an error “Cannot connect to server: server: Pickup Forwarder on Server cannot be used anymore. Upgrade to latest GSTP version”. But i also solved it.

So look at the steps below:

STEP 1
Download proper NAS app version for your WD device from this link:

DO NOT INSTALL THE VERSION OFFERED FROM “WD APP STORE” IT IS ALSO NOT WORKING. Use the above link.

STEP 2
Go to the panel of your WD device, hit Apps, hit “install manually” and select the downloaded .bin (or whatever) file and install.

STEP 3
Select the installed Goodsync app from left pane of the app list on the panel of your wd device and hit configure from right.

STEP 4
Create a goodsync account if you don’t have any. After creation complete go to the same configuration page and log in.

STEP 5
Download and install Goodsync for Mac

STEP 6
Log in with the account you’ve created at step 4 and at the next step select “Do Not Serve Files, but this computer can call others”

STEP 7
Hit “New Job” button and give it a name, select “synchronize” and hit ok.

STEP 8
Hit the left side “?”" iconed folder, a view will pop up. From the left tabs select “My Mac” and select a local folder on your computer.

STEP 9
Hit the right side ? iconed folder, a view will pop up. From the left tabs select “Goodsync Connect”. On the opened view, hit “servers” button to let the app automatically find your nas. Select the nas and hit connect.

STEP 10
After connecting to the nas device you’ll see a “shares” folder and select the inner folder you want to sync with your local folder. You can also create a new folder. Hit ok.

STEP 11
On the main view, click “analyze” and than click “sync” buttons on the screen.

STEP 12
Hit “Options” button on the top right of the app. Make your desired options selected. Important one is in the “Auto” tab, select “On file change” if you want to make it really automatically run any time when a file or a folder changed or removed or added or renamed or sth etc…
If you also want to include or exclude some specific items or folder (like node_modules for me:)) go to “Filters” tab and make your configuration.

STEP 13
Go to Goodsync preferences. Select start goodsync when mac starts.

STEP 14
Go to mac preferences, go to Users&Grups, select your user and add Goodsync app to the “Login items”.

STEP 15
To make it more like any sync app on the market, hit the small Goodsync app icon at the top right of your mac header bar and hit “Tray Icon” to minimize it all to that small icon.

That’s it. I am right now using it as a trial. And without being 100% sure, you have to buy both NAS and Personal licenses to use it properly. But I guess after giving a 380€ for a nas, it will worth to give additional 60€ for a lifetime cloud sync app use. They don’t have subscription based stuff. And none of the cloud sync platforms will offer you this amount of space as your own and also in a local enviroment when possible.

Add NAS licence to the cart from the below link if you want to buy, and the next screen will give you a discount on personal licence. Add it also to the card.
https://www.goodsync.com/php/pums/rfprepay.php?lic=goodsync&lang=en

As i said, i still did not buy it, will wait for the end of trial period before considering to buy it but it works, it really works perfect and fast.