Wd smartwear or time machine

I’m confused about what I have uploaded (as an admitted lightweight in these things).  Do I have a smart wear program or a time machine?  I now seem to have both, but which is the one to use for backing up my hard disk?  Help??

I don’t know much about Macs but they have time amchine. Smartware comes with WD externals. If you installed it you have both. Smartware only backs up select file types and can be a bit of a resorce hog. Sorry I can’t help muh more than that.

Joe

akbernstein wrote:

I’m confused about what I have uploaded (as an admitted lightweight in these things).  Do I have a smart wear program or a time machine?  I now seem to have both, but which is the one to use for backing up my hard disk?  Help??

Having both on your computer will eventually cause problems.  I would probably run Time Machine, and uninstall Smartware.

1 Like

from what I’ve been reading, smartware doesn’t work that well on macs anyway.

I would go for time machine every time. The smartware gives some usage data but if you really need that check out “Disk Inventory X”

Gannett

How do I uninstall smartware?  I have just bought a WD 3TB to use with my MacBook Pro because I had some problems backing up to my Time Capsule; I can describe them if you want.  Because I didn’t want to lose the thousands of photos that didn’t back up to the TC, I installed the WD My Book Essentials, installed smarware as instructed, formatted for Mac, then backed up the MBP, all  of which went smoothly.  About 400GB; it took all night.  But I don’t want to have problems down the line, so I want to be sure the WD is using TM to back up.   How do I ensure that?  Thanks.

did you ever get smartware uninstalled?  I’ve heard there can be issues getting it uninstalled. you may have to contact wd’s support for help with it.