WD ShareSpace of 8 TB - backup storage

Hi Team,

I am using a product WD ShareSpace of 8 TB as backup drive, I have few clarification s on this, please clarify.

1. can I use connect this device as USB drive

2. when I tried backing up over the network - it is too slow - how to imporve it.

3. how to remove the RAID, i wat to make use of full storage (RAID not required)

Thanks in advance

Girish

Hi there,

1. can I use connect this device as USB drive

No, that is not possible. The USB ports are only for external hard drives (e.g. to share their content or to perform an automated backup)

1. when I tried backing up over the network - it is too slow - how to imporve it.

The ShareSpace is, unfortunately, very slow. Usually, you can expect something aroung 10MB/sec. - usually not more.

The more small files you have, the slower the process. So if you have lots of small files, you might want to consider packing them into a .rar-Archive or something like that and only transfer the one large archive. That usually goes faster plus it saves you space for your backup. Plus, it ensures the integrity of your backup.

1. how to remove the RAID, i wat to make use of full storage

That’s easy. Just log into the web GUI of the sharespace, click on “Advanced Mode” in the upper portion of the screen, then go to “Storage” where you click on the second icon “RAID Management”. Click on the tab “manage raid” and set it to “span”. Click on “Save” and that’s it. Sharespace will then delete all your data and create a spanned drive with no redundancy.

Hope that helps

matt

1 Like

Hello! 

How can i configure four hard disks to be used independent? Is it possible?

Thanks

Regards

Fábio

You can’t. This is a raid nas it’s not like a computer that do this . You have only 4 configurations and they are the ones in the settings described above.