While I’m definitely not new to having NAS, I’m new to having a drive array and definitely new to having this many options in a GUI for as simple a thing as (I’d hoped to have for) a NAS…
What I want (I don’t think this is asking a lot):
- FTP (I am using DynDNS and it’s configured correctly to get me to my router)
- media storage for videos, MP3’s
- security for local network access from two computers (Win 7 admin full control, all sub accounts read-only)
- remote access (haven’t been able to get this working)
- reasonably quick read ability
It’s configured for RAID-5. Ultimately I plan to use Windows Media Center to access the media on the drive. Read speed is soooo slow, even though both my box and the WD are connected to the same gigabit switch. I haven’t even messed with FTP configuration. I have mapped the drive successfully to Z: using WD-Link on my local hardwired machine; I also have a wireless laptop from which I have not been able to map the drive via WD-Link.
While the capacity of this drive is in fact 4x1TB, that’s about the only expectation of this hardware that has been met so far. Any help getting this array to do what I need it to would be great!