Wd sentinel dx4000 Network Adabpter are not working

You mean without loading the drivers in windows? Not yet.

You could install the drivers in the one you have working then take the drives out and put them in the box with no NIC’s

That was my plan but so far have not found a device that works on the box.
tried this first :
Network Adapter,TechRise High Speed USB 3.0 to RJ45 Gigabit Ethernet LAN Network
didn’t work

Just ordered
StarTech.com USB 3.0 to Gigabit Ethernet NIC Network Adapter -

supposed to be compatible

:neutral_face:

This is strange the usb interface loads up fine but os doesn’t seem to be able to connect using it. Neither does it show in the dashboard. Does it require further setup in WD TEAM configuration?

Well it will not show in the dashboard/monitor
It should how in start>NCPA.CPL>Enter

Yes it appears but when I connect to the ethernet even though it appears in the dhcp I can’t remote desktop to it?

I can finally reports that I have cracked it. The only way to be sure that your DX4000 is not susceptible to ethernet failure is to setup this USB nic while you can connect, load the drivers and make sure it works. If the sentinel onboard nic fails you are still able to access the server through the usb.

StarTech.com USB 3.0 to Gigabit Ethernet NIC Network Adapter - 10/100/1000 Network Adapter - USB to Ethernet LAN Adapter - USB to RJ45
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0095EFXMC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks for all your help Gramps. I would advise every DX4000 user to do this.

Sure NOW you tell me. Both NIC’s dead, can’t get in to do anything.

When I had this problem I bought a DX4000 without drives and then installed this NIC on USB above. I opted to go back to my original system and just use USB adapter. Its working well but it doesn’t appear in the dashboard - so I put up with that.
If you can find a way to put the driver on the restore USB that should be a better and cheaper way to go.

Seems I am not first who has burned NICs on DX4000.
Adapters USB->ethernet need drivers, so you cant access system without preinstallation.
I connected to OS via USB with Android smartphone - OS used standard RNDIS.

explain what you accomplished please?

This is interesting did you manage to load driver for NIC?
Which app did you use to connect?
thanks

Windows already have driver for this technology.
Connect to the storage USB with Android smartphone with RNDIS USB functionality and use some RDP app. Use some ping tool for see ip-addresses.
I accessed to the OS and downloaded driver for “USB-Ethernet” adapter via second USB.

Still confused. I can understand perhaps RDP to the server, but how did you download the driver if the nic is not working?

This would also be handy for those folks who disabled or misconfigured a nic.

Would a chrome book do this ?

This is very important as many people have had a problem with the NICs failing. A recovery procedure is needed to fix this.

Both ethernet ports of my unit also failed today. No link, no hope. Have anyone been successful in buying a replacement unit and moving the HDDs to that one? Can the data be accessed?

if you just have 2 drives you should be able to see your data in a usb dock. If you have more than 2 drives you will need that many usb docks and a 3rd party raid recovery software.

Or if you can find a working box, inserting your drives in it should also work.

I have a spare box and I put the drives in booted up and installed a usb nic. I then put the drives and the nic back in the old box and I am still using it.

Thanks for your replies. Just ordered an used WD4000 without disks, and the StarTech USB-ethernet. Plan is to put the disks in the second NAS, configure the USB-eth, move disks back to the old one and sell the spare NAS.

Let us know how it turns out
thanks

Got the second DX4000 today and the operation was a success.

So I changed the HDDs from my old NIC-malfunctioned DX4000 to this new one I had ordered without HDDs. Original NAS model is 16TB and the new one is 8TB but this didn’t matter as I expected. Box booted on the very first try. The static IP I had configured didn’t work but saw the DHCP lease and could connect to that IP with RDP. From there I saw the NICs of the new box were now numbers #3 and #4 where the “WDTeam” interface with my original network settings clearly is using NICs #1 and #2 that arent there anymore. Didn’t bother checking how to fix the teaming interface as it’s a lousy fallback setup which doesn’t even work when the controller chip breaks as we have seen.

Then plugged the StarTech USB-ethernet adapter. Installed the drivers for that. Setup a static IP for the interface. Tested RDP with that IP. Tested that the adapter can be removed and re-plugged without loosing the connectivity. So my DX4000 is now back in business.

Thanks for all help on this thread.

NOTE! If you have a DX4000 and you’re reading this, do at least the following: Download and install the driver from https://sgcdn.startech.com/005329/media/sets/ASIX_AX88179/[ASIX88179]%20Windows%20USB%20Network%20Adapter.zip - now when day comes that your NICs fail, you can order that USB-ethernet adapter, plug it in and connect to the DHCP IP gotten