WD Sentinel DX4000 - Microsoft Server 2008R2 Essentials - Recovery "Unsupported Protocol" preventing set up to complete

Hi, we have been using Sentinel DX4000 since 2012. During a restart a few months ago it got stuck at “Loading OS”. I performed a recovery using the iso image, but after the recovery was completed, and I reached the point to access the server through a browser, I was able to select the language, region, time, accept the license agreement, and as soon as I click next after accepting license agreement I get the error “The connection for this site is not secure “IP ADDRESS OF SERVER” uses an unsupported protocol”. I have tried Edge, Chrome, played with settings to allow all kinds of access, even used browsers on my android and ios phones on the same network, and I get the same error.

Has anyone else faced this issue? Is there a solution to this? I have the recovery complete, but just before I can enter the license key, I am unable to proceed further and complete setup to access our data.

HI @umarsikandry ,

Have you opened a Support Case? If not opened, for more information, please contact the WD Technical Support team for the best assistance and troubleshooting:
https://support-en.wd.com/app/ask

My thoughts are you have a bad recovery.
You need to verify the MD5 hash of your download. If it is correct I would suggest using a different thumb drive and do the recovery again.

Ignore below :slight_smile:
#WDUserRewards

The DX4000 is a legacy product and WD no longer supports

I am having the same problem but it is not with the DX4000. It appears that the server uses security that is no longer allowed by Windows so you (and I) are being blocked when communication begins between the server and our computers. I tried adding an old Internet Explorer app to Edge and I got closer but it still did not work. I am assuming that the answer is to shut off security somewhere long enough to get the server set up. Not sure on running day to day or if this is no longer possible. I plan to ask Microsoft about a work around but I do not have a lot of confidence that they will tell me even if there is one…

I am not sure it is a “security” issue, but perhaps…
I would load XP in a VM on your desktop and try that to set it up.
YMMV :slight_smile: