WD Please add Google to the list of web locations

Hi Medic,

Thanks for the suggestions to open a web browser. I tried, but it didn’t work out. Where do you find the about screen, when you open the set up? 

Cheers

Peter

1 Like

The About screen is the last item that can be found in the Setup section of the device.

In the default Mochi theme it looks like this, open this screen and use the Search button on your remote.

setup-about.jpg

2 Likes

Thank you very much, Medic. It worked well. This is really amazing.

1 Like

Well now that I’ve seen this, I’m going back to cooking my rice :slight_smile:

BTW:  HAW DILLY!

THIS IS REALLY BIG!

Photobucket

I got it to play this video and the sound!

http://vimeo.com/16595344

It appears as long as the video isn’t flashed it may play…??

Hi Medic & RichUK

Many thanks for your awesome Kudos replies looks like a splendid work around - will try soon as I ve just finished registering a new 2TB WD HDD USB with an 8 instead of the correct B in the SN & I was thinking it was a rescued product from those terrible floods ? last year…

if only this Super forum wasnt so tricky to sign back into every time & WD wont let u use ur old password even if its the only 1 u can remember…

mojo3 wrote:

Hi Medic & RichUK

Many thanks for your awesome Kudos replies looks like a splendid work around - will try soon as I ve just finished registering a new 2TB WD HDD USB with an 8 instead of the correct B in the SN & I was thinking it was a rescued product from those terrible floods ? last year…

if only this Super forum wasnt so tricky to sign back into every time & WD wont let u use ur old password even if its the only 1 u can remember…

I am using my old password. Simply change it back to one you have always used.

Wow nice find…

Shame i’m away from my hub for a few weeks but will have to try this out asap

Good find, but seriously WD should provide this very important functionality (which you know is possible!), not try to avoid supporting it and force their community to do the work they should be doing. 

A device with storage that connects to the internet and is capable of running tiny segments of it (many of which requiring a subscription/fee) is cute as a media server if you’re patient BUT WD you either need to allow users to stream live television/content from the websites they choose or you need to include as a selection every site from which people would be able to watch/listen to media.   It working slowly would be better than not being able to do it at all.

I don’t want to pay for Netflix/HuluPlus/etc. and I don’t want to pirate anything, I simply want to be able to watch both the media I own+have locally AND the media that is freely available and broadcast by those with the rights, such as PBS and MHZWorldview websites offer.  I don’t want to keep paying huge cable bills, and I don’t want to invest in yet another box, or a new computer just to dedicate to my television, or a new smart television.  People invest in boxes like this to a) access the content they want to watch and b) save money doing so, rather than building servers and patching things together from scratch, investing in new hardware/software etc.  Seamless enjoyment of local and net/cloud/web-based music, movies, images, and television by the user (and not just in tiny pre-programmed islands) is the future; if you have any intention of keeping up with Roku and GoogleTV you need to enable this, and not hide behind the “Unplanned” status.  Thank you.  I am sure all of your users would appreciate it (and a reply indicating you’ll make the effort)…

We can complain all we want they do not support a public browser that’s the answer Bill gave us as you can read in the thread.

Public / Supported or not it’s still a very nice feature and it works great! I hope they leave it in there with future FW updates.

I heard someone say there IS a WEb Browser in the WDTV Live HUB… probably based on FireFox or Google Chrome :slight_smile:

If you USE the WDTV LIVE HUB app found on Apple’s APP Store, it has a built-in keyboard function to type things into this browser.

UNFORTUNATELY, there is no MOUSE function even though there is a GESTURES feature built-into the app. (Doesn’t work as a mouse function on the browser Window).

this is one of the best finds in years, congratulations!!! WOW

I will test this right away this afternoon. Thanks a lot Medic. Good to know that the WDTV remote works to use as a keyboard. Does anyone know how you can:

• scroll up or down

• press a link on a page

• play a (vimeo) video

It’s a shame that it’s not possible to play flash videos such as the ones from Jon Stewarts ‘The Daily Show’ or Colbert Report from Comedy Central. I did also try to play those via the RSS reader function but that only seems to support text.

Keep in mind folks that many Wireless Keyboards and Mice work.

My Microsoft Keyboard and Mouse (came in a kit) work perfectly.

Yes, you can scroll with the mouse (wheel works)

Yes, you can click links.

I haven’t been able to play any “rich” media because the browser appears to lack any plugins.

pacorob wrote:
Good to know that the WDTV remote works to use as a keyboard. Does anyone know how you can:

- scroll up or down
- press a link on a page

Both. As Tony allready mentioned you can use a wireless keyboard / mouse set. I’m using the cheapest set i could.

- play a (vimeo) video

flhthmei wrote

I got it to play this video and the sound!

http://vimeo.com/16595344

It appears as long as the video isn’t flashed it may play…??

Not tested it myself but it appaers to work as long there’s no flash involved

It’s a shame that it’s not possible to play flash videos such as the ones from Jon Stewarts ‘The Daily Show’ or Colbert Report from Comedy Central. I did also try to play those via the RSS reader function but that only seems to support text.

Maybe we have to wait for WD to bring out new functions on the Hub. At this time they do not support a public browser on the Hub but there is one in the firmware, in the osd files xml folder you can find inc_rv_home_menu_node.xml, in this file they allready made plans for extra Main Menu buttons that aren’t used at this moment.

1 Like

This is great!

Nice job Medic. I got to try it.

Bill_S, or anyone in WD: Will you block the access to this web browser in future firmware releases? I sincerely hope not.

Cheers.

Has the latest firmware download changed being able to stil do the splendid work around wdc to be able to use google…= been away a long time?

Nope!

It’s still there …

:smileyvery-happy:

I can’t find it in the latest firmware can anyone confirm?

I have the new firmware on my Hub and it works - I can see my own radio station on line!  Kiss-FM88.1.jpg