WD PiDrive Enclosure - Blue Square 6"x6"

Hi All,

I saw the WD PiDrive Enclosure - Blue Square 6"x6" and I noticed it is only compatible with WD Pi Drive.
Is it possible to include in it a SATA HDD in someway using a small adapter?
I have an Western Digital HDD External HDD (1 Tb Elements product) that I can remove from its own enclosure.
My doubt is that even if it is possible add a SATA/USB adapter I do not know if screw holes of WD PiDrive are compatible with the screw holes of a normal HDD 2.5" SATA drive.

Hey there, Salvatore.

Taking a drive out of its enclosure is not recommended. This will void the warranty of the drive, plus you might damage the HDD in the process of removing its enclosure.
The WDPiDrive Enclosure Blue Square is meant for that setup specifically, so it’s quite possible for you not to be able to fit a SATA to USB adapter in there. However, if you decide to try that with a different 2.5" SATA drive, you should do it at your own discretion. The mounting holes should fit as the PiDrive has standard dimensions for them: PiDrive dimensions.

Hope that helps.
CK_WD

I noticed the enclosure has a big hole in the middle I could include the external drive in it and fix it with cables ties like this
http://www.bricobravo.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/2/6/263_2.jpg

What do you think about this solution?

So you’re talking about fitting in the external drive without taking it out of the enclosure if I’ve understood you correctly? I’m not sure that it would fit inside the enclosure with the RPi and I wouldn’t try it if I were you. Besides that, those cable ties won’t keep the drive fixed at one place as well as the screws would.
Basically you’re free to experiment as you please and I’d be interested to find out how everything goes no matter what you decide to try, so please keep me posted. :slight_smile:

hi,
Here I described how I want to address the issue:

I found another solution. The problem is that the case is out of stock. Anyone know if it will be available soon.

Hi again. :slight_smile:

Would you please tell me which is your region and I’ll try and find out when it’s going to be available. In the meantime you should be able to click on “Notify when available” in order to leave your e-mail and other necessary information and be informed when the product is in stock.

Italy. I’va already pressed the “notify when available” button.

Any idea when it can be available again?

I’m truly sorry, but it seems I can’t give you an exact time-frame. Currently we’re working on replenishing inventory so hopefully it’ll be in stock soon.

You should receive an email notifying you about it since you’ve selected the “notify when available” option.

I’ve received the case, but one of the clip leg is broken :worried: (see pic), I am wondering if I can get a replacement of it.

Thanks,
Mike

Hi there Mike :slight_smile:

Try contacting our support for this. If you just received this as a DOA our support should be able to provide assistance.
I’d also try to look for a solution. Let me know if you get in contact with our support.

Captain_WD.

Hi Captain,

Thanks for your quick response, I’ve use your link and tried “Create an RMA”, but the case is not in the product list. And I also tried “Send us an email”, but it requires serial number/model number. Do you know where can I find those information? My Order Number is: [[Removed - Privacy]] if you are able to Help on it. greatly appreciate.

Thanks,
Mike

You are most welcome :slight_smile: I’ll see what I can do and will get back at you as soon as I get an answer.

Cheers!

Captain_WD.

@Mike_Mo did you recently purchased the enclosure? There should be a 30-day return so it may be better to return it through it rather than creating a RMA through support.
If you got this through a store in the US check out these instructions on how to use the 30-day return policy.

Did you get solely the case or did you get a kit with a WD PiDrive in it? Maybe you could use the PiDrive’s Serial Number for the RMA if you are pass the 30-day period. I’ll check this too and will post back.

Cheers!

Captain_WD.

@Captain_WD: thank you for your advise, I only ordered the case and it’s within 30 days return period. I’ve read through the return instructions. I think it’s better just keep it rather than ship it back. It might cost more on shipping than the cost of the case :stuck_out_tongue:.

Thanks,
Mike

In that case, let me know if you have any other questions or if I can help with anything else! :slight_smile:

Captain_WD.

Mike,

One option for issues like this is to get some liquid hobby glue for plastic, the kind with xylene, etc in it. The “non-sniffable” kind is garbage.

A small drop on the bottom of the tab where it broke, gently lift it back into position, and hold it in place. This will cause the plastic pieces to flow into each other - essentially “welding” them back together. Let it sit a few days before use.

I’ve repaired a number of things like that using this technique.

Jim “JR”