WD Photos and dates

Hi -

I am a new WD MyCloud EX2 owner and I am trying to consolidate my photo libraries for local and remote access.   This is a primary function for buying the NAS device.

My problem is that the WD Photos Android mobile app does not consistently recognize the date/time of the photos taken for search and sort.

I loaded the pictures from an external WD USB drive and copied them to the NAS “Shared Pictures” share.   I’ve tried this two different ways - the first time with SSH “cp -r” and the second “cp -r --preserve=timestamps”.   I’ve noticed that the latter correctly sets the Creation Date when selecting the small “i” in WD Photos.

However, sort & search don’t work.    I’ve waited more than 12 hours and the indexing seems to have completed, based on the CPU load going down.   I also deleted all the photos previously loaded before trying the second time with preserving timestamps.

Another point is that some photo directories seem to work properly, while others don’t.  In the directories that I loaded one-at-a-time while testing, all seems OK.   The remainder which I did in one large multi-directory batch seem improperly ordered.

Is there anyway to use the EXIF data which seems to be preserved?   Or is there a different app available?

Thanks,

Kevin

You can try rebuilding the index from the dashboard settings. It might do the trick…but obviously it’ll take another few hours recreating the index before you can test if the preserved dates are in the new index. This may or may not fix your ordering issue…but I suspect (not 100% sure) it will resolve your sort and search by timestamp issues.

If this fixes your issue, please click on the star below my username to give me a kudo…and also mark this post as the solution.

Hi -

Thanks for your advice.  I haven’t had a chance to try it yet, but will definitely see if I can rebuild the index this weekend.

Thanks!

Hi -

I was hoping for just a little more guidance…   I played with this some more this morning and reloaded all of my photos.

Of course, the index is rebuilding on it’s own.   When it completes, I plan on rebuilding it manually one more time, in case it is out of sync because I loaded the photos in several steps.

Can you elaborate on how to manually rebuild the index?   The only option I see in the web interface is under iTunes, but I am not using iTunes.   I checked the user manual as well.

Thanks for your help!

I found this -

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9379/~/wd-photos-does-not-display-all-the-photos-on-a-personal-cloud-drive-or-wd-nas

Trying it now.

Thanks

ksamborn wrote:

I found this -

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9379/~/wd-photos-does-not-display-all-the-photos-on-a-personal-cloud-drive-or-wd-nas

Trying it now.

Thanks

I dont know if the above worked or not. But I was referring to the Rebuild DLNA dataase option under dashboard’s Settings → Media → DLNA Media Server settings.

I have an EX2, not an EX4, but I believe the settings screens are almost the same if not identical. Here’s a screenshot from mine of what I was referring to (if you can’t see the pic below then try this alternate link →   http://imgur.com/zRJwucV )

If this helps resolve your issue, please click the star under my username on the left to give me thanks…and also mark the post as a solution.

1 Like

OK, it finally finished.   It worked!

Thanks for all your help