WD Passport unreadable on Mac

Hi,
I used my WD My Passport on my MacBook Air before it died and am now trying to use it on my MacBook Pro, I get the following error message:
The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer.
However I have tried to recover data by using programs which show me the data is there however I need to pay to recover! Surely I shouldn’t have to pay for this service!!! I have downloaded WD Discovery which is not showing me any data.
Please help!

Try r-studio. It may help.

What a complete and utter scam WD!

WD make lots of Software, Data Recovery Software is not one of them.

whatever Software the OP is using is 3rd Party Software, and not WD’s.

So, WD is not scamming anyone.

And most 3rd party Data Recovery Software is not Free and offer a “Trial” to see if the data is recoverable … and then, to recover the data a payment is required.

I bought the passport to backup my laptop with the understanding I can use it on another if that laptop died which has occurred.
It is not damaged in anyway so to me having to pay to recover my data is a scam.
This sounds like a current occurrence with this product so perhaps WD should look into data recovery software!

Hi, I have the same issue, were you able to fix it?.. The problem I have is that the disk was encrypted, and now the software does not recognize the WD disk. Something weird is happening because I see many people having the same issue but instead of having a single thread it has multiple ones. And I see no support from WD. The disk is not performing the basic function to backup, so we are just wasting our money. Perhaps they want us to move everything to the cloud and that is even scarier.

1 Like

Nah man no real answers since .
Like I said it’s a scam their products don’t work the way they should. I will avoid buying WD products in the future

1 Like

Thanks for your answer. I am really angry because I have my family pictures stored on that backup drive.