WD Passport Ultra

I got this for my Backup files for my laptop. Used it twice and worked fine. I just happened to get a virus and didn’t realize it. And did all that work for nothing. Well, got my laptop reinstalled and virus fixed. So now I went to take out the files and accidently deleted wrong files from my external portable drive and it no longer recognizes my laptop files. I finally looked at the wd support help and see there are files to download in case you need to erase everything. At this point I think I should erase everything. But no sure how to re-install files for the external portable drive. Just bought this a month ago. It is a TB portable drive. It was really nice I messed up somewhere. Please Help!

Hello and welcome to the WD Community.

If you don’t have a good antivirus, you can reformat the drive and download the utilities from the WD Support site that you will be using.

Please note that reformatting the drive will erase all the information on the unit. So, make sure that you have your files on your computer to avoid data loss.

I reformatted my Passport Ultra in error and lost all my files. How can I retrieve those files.

Hello,

Sorry to hear that.

At this point, you can try using a data recovery software to see if you can get the data out of the drive.

You might be able to get one for free, check online.