WD Passport 1T HDD not showing up

I’m not a tech wiz, but my family comes from a long line of computer-based jobs, experiences, etc.

I mention that because having said background would present such a person with a firm grasp on most problems presented.

This one, though, I just cannot figure out. My girlfriend got a brand new (refer to subject title) for Christmas and the HDD had worked the first time I toyed with it. So we began the process of transferring all of her pictures, music, etc to it. The next day we take the HDD over to my house and connect it to my computer - install all of the drivers with ease. My device manager recognizes the HDD, but when I try to open it under My Computer it doesn’t seem to be recognized there. Tried it on several different laptops and desktops and the problem persists on all. The worse part is now the same problem is happening when I try to connect it to her laptop.

I guess what I’m trying to figure out is, does anyone know a quick-fix in relation to my problem. The USB cable is brand new, I’ve babied it like it was … well my child, and our computers are above average. All drivers are up to date along with the firmware.

If it’s any any help - when I plug in the HDD it acts normally (from what I can tell) it does make a seemingly unnoticeable “scraping” noise at the maybe 2 seconds after I plug it in (scraping is in quotations because I don’t know any other word to describe the noise being I doubt the diskette inside is actually scraping on the cover). The white light is on, but it, every so often, will flash on an off. Please help.

Thanks,

Chubz. 

Sometimes, the computer needs to assign a drive letter for the drive. Before you read below, make sure you try ALL the usb ports. I have 6 ports on my desktop and one of them wont recognize my passport. Weird, but hey I have 5 more to choose from!! So change usb ports or read below, how to assign drive letters…

1. Click  Start , click  Control Panel , and then click  Performance and Maintenance.
  2. Click  Administrative Tools , double-click  Computer Management , and then click Disk Management  in the left pane.
  3. Right-click the drive, the partition, the logical drive, or the volume that you want to assign a drive letter to, and then click  Change Drive Letter and Paths.
  4. Click  Change.
  5. Click  Assign the following drive letter  if it is not already selected, click the drive letter that you want to use, and then click  OK.
  6. Click  Yes  when you are prompted to confirm the drive letter change.

The drive letter of the drive, the partition, or the volume that you specified is changed, and the new drive letter appears in the appropriate drive, partition, or volume in the Disk Management tool. 

I have been just as the person from the first post, babying the USB that came with and WD has sent me one as well. My drive is not showing in the Disk management, but I do see “WD SES Device USB Device” in the ‘Other Devices’ area of my Device manager, this has a yellow flag with it.

Tried finding drivers or updates for this WD Passport, I got it just before end of Decemeber 2010 and it has stopped showing responding in Explorer on my laptop and home PC 2 weeks ago. 

How do i get this HDD to be recognized again!?!

Kreiz,

Try reading my posts on this forum since the begining of last week. I have addressed all of your issues there.

You’ll find your answer.

Mabikay - SLK