WD nas - QNAP nas drive problems - Please Help!

I have a WD MyCloudMirror that is starting to fail. So, I decided to get the QNAP TS251+ to act as my home NAS server. I only had one drive in the WD MyCloud (just ordered a second drive to replace the old one that failed - waited til I had money to do so). When my QNAP arrived, I plugged it in, took the hard drive out of the WD and put it in the QNAP and went through the set up process. While the drive showed up in Qfinder Pro and on my mac laptop, it was not actually accessible. It showed the capacity and available space in Qfinder but when I tried to make the drive shareable so the computer could access it, I would get an error. I looked online to find out that apparently you can’t just take the drive out of the WD nas and put it in the QNAP nas. You have to basically copy it over from one drive to another. So, I took the drive out and put it back in the WD nas so I could still use it until the second drive I ordered arrives. However, when I put it back in the WD nas I first was getting an error. I unplugged it and plugged it back in. Now the drive shows up but it says there is no data on it.
Please, please tell me I did not lose all my data! My hands are literally shaking at the thought.
Any help would be so greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

I think you overwrote the WD control records when you set it up in the QNAP. You may well be out of luck.

I’m sorry to hear that you’re experiencing issues with your WD MyCloudMirror and QNAP TS251+. It’s possible that when you removed the hard drive from the WD MyCloudMirror, some of the data may have been corrupted or lost due to a potential conflict with the file system of the QNAP TS251+. However, it’s also possible that the data is still intact and can be retrieved.

One thing you could try is to plug the hard drive back into the QNAP TS251+ and see if you can access the data using data recovery software such as Stellar Data Recovery, EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard or Disk Drill. These software tools can help you recover data from a formatted or corrupted drive.

Another option is to send the hard drive to a professional data recovery service provider. They have specialized tools and expertise to recover lost or corrupted data, but this can be an expensive option.

In any case, it’s important to remember to always back up your important data in multiple locations to avoid situations like this in the future.

I understand your concern, but it’s important to remain calm as there may still be a chance to recover your data. Here are a few steps you can take to troubleshoot the situation:

1. Ensure proper connections: Double-check all the connections of your WD MyCloudMirror. Make sure the hard drive is properly inserted, and all cables are securely connected.
  2. Power cycle the WD MyCloudMirror: Turn off the device, disconnect the power supply, wait for a minute or two, and then reconnect the power supply. Power it back on and see if the drive is recognized correctly.
  3. Check WD MyCloudMirror’s administration interface: Access the administrative interface of the WD MyCloudMirror via its web interface or software provided by WD. Check if the device recognizes the drive properly and if any error messages or warnings are displayed. Look for any options to repair or recover the drive within the interface.
  4. Data recovery software: If the above steps do not resolve the issue, you might consider using data recovery software to attempt to recover the data from the WD MyCloudMirror’s drive. There are various data recovery tools available, both free and paid, that can help in such situations. Examples include Stellar Data Recovery, Recuva, EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard, or Disk Drill. Install the software on your computer and follow the instructions provided to scan for and recover any lost data.
  5. Professional data recovery services: If the data recovery software is unable to retrieve your data, or if the data is extremely valuable and you want to increase the chances of recovery, you could consult a professional data recovery service. These services have specialized equipment and expertise to handle complex data recovery scenarios. They can assess the situation and provide you with the best course of action.

Remember, in cases of data loss, it’s important to avoid making any further changes to the drive or attempting any operations that might write new data to it, as it could overwrite the existing data and reduce the chances of successful recovery.

If the data on the WD MyCloudMirror is crucial and you’re uncertain about the steps to take, it’s recommended to consult with a professional data recovery service as soon as possible. They can guide you through the process and offer the best chances of recovering your important data.

The issue you’re experiencing with the Western Digital NAS EX2100 firmware and Windows 7 regarding file attributes and deleted files not appearing in the recycle bin could potentially be related to the interaction between the NAS firmware and the Windows operating system. Here are a few steps you can take to troubleshoot the problem:

1. Check NAS Firmware: Verify if there is an updated firmware version available for your Western Digital NAS EX2100. Visit the Western Digital website and look for firmware updates specific to your NAS model. If an update is available, follow the instructions provided to update the firmware and see if the issue persists.
  2. Windows 7 Updates: Ensure that your Windows 7 operating system is up to date with the latest updates and patches. Microsoft often releases updates to address various compatibility and performance issues. Run Windows Update and install any available updates, including optional updates related to file management.
  3. File Attribute Settings: Check the settings on your NAS for file attribute handling. Some NAS devices have specific options related to file attributes, such as preserving timestamps or handling read-only attributes. Ensure that the settings on your NAS are configured correctly for your needs.
  4. Recycle Bin Configuration: Verify the recycle bin settings on your Windows 7 system. Right-click on the recycle bin icon on your desktop, select “Properties,” and ensure that the “Custom size” option is selected. Additionally, check if the NAS is set as the storage location for deleted files in the recycle bin settings.
  5. Mapping Network Drive: Instead of accessing the NAS through Windows file manager, try mapping the NAS as a network drive on your Windows 7 system. Open “Computer” in Windows Explorer, click on “Map network drive,” and follow the prompts to assign a drive letter to your NAS. This may help ensure proper integration with the recycle bin and file attributes.
  6. Western Digital Support: If the issue persists after trying the above steps, consider reaching out to Western Digital’s customer support for further assistance. They can provide specific troubleshooting guidance and offer solutions tailored to your NAS model and firmware version.

Remember to always have backups of your important data before making any significant changes to your NAS or system settings.