WD MyCloud Gen2 - Enable apps install tab + Apps!

Well it wasn’t that difficult to begin with, because @elliots helped me with pretty detailed explanation, so I am going to pass it on to you.

What you need:

• some linux system(I just used virtual ubuntu 16.04 32bit(tried with 17.04 64bit didn’t work).
  1. Opened plex server and got the notification that my plex server is outdated and proceeded to download it. In my case that was https://downloads.plex.tv/plex-media-server/1.10.1.4602-f54242b6b/WDMyCloudEX2_plexmediaserver_11014602-f54242b6b.bin. Created a new folder and used wget command to get it.
  2. In order to create the package, you have to have their tool. http://developer.mycloud.com/MCDSDKindex.html (Section 3). The direct link to get it is High-Performance SSDs, HDDs, USB Drives, & Memory Cards | Western Digital so just got that with wget.
  3. Set the permissions for the file with chmod +x mksapkg (or you can use simply the sudo command when starting it).
  4. Creating tar package from it with:
    “dd if=WDMyCloudEX2_plexmediaserver_11014602-f54242b6b.bin of=WDMyCloudEX2_plexmediaserver_11014602-f54242b6b.tar.gz bs=200 skip=1”
    It created from the downloaded package WDMyCloudEX2_plexmediaserver_11014602-f54242b6b.bin a tar package which I can unpack later on in order to be able to extract what I need. The package created is the one which we wanted “WDMyCloudEX2_plexmediaserver_11014602-f54242b6b.tar.gz”.
  5. We have to unpack it with the command “tar -zxvf WDMyCloudEX2_plexmediaserver_11014602-f54242b6b.tar.gz” where it unpacked everything onto the folder plexmediaserver.
  6. Enter the folder with “cd plexmediaserver”.
  7. Now we have to create it. If you did your chmoding properly, then use “…/mksapkg -m WDMyCloud” and if not, just add sudo in front of it to run it as root. With it we start the mksapkg app and tell it to create the package for the modem (hence -m) for WDMyCloud.

In my case, the file was not named .bin afterwards but it had an additional number. Just rename it to end with .bin.

I can post the files onto the dropbox folder, since I am using it daily and will try to have the latest plex version available.

Hoped it helped.

4 Likes