WD MyCloud Ex2 - how to wakey wakey and turn her on?

Hello everyone,

It seems to be easier than you first think. I have read through various forum posts, including this one. When the NAS is “off”, i.e. through shutdown.sh via ssh or the power plan, the green LED of the LAN port on the back still lights up. So I thought I’d just try sending a wakOnLan packet to the device …and it actually worked. Btw I use a MyCloudEX2Ultra.
I installed wakeonlan on my Ubuntu subsystem for Windows 10 via sudo apt-get install wakeonlan.
Then using the MAC address (ifconfig and then HWaddr. Or for a more detailed description https://community.wd.com/t/shutdown-via-ssh/98555/6 post by Cybernut1 on Jan '15) send the command wakeonlan <MAC-ADDRESS>.
Result: On the Linux console Sending magic packet to 255.255.255.255:9 with FF:FF:FF:FF:FF and the NAS wakes up.

I was surprised at the result myself, that such a “simple” solution works. Normally things are not so trivial.

Perhaps we should now discuss uplink_svk’s sentence: “Not sure if WD Engineers are geniuses, or special type of st*pid with all due respect.”

I think both …genius engineers who unfortunately have no idea what the customers want or need. Trust me im an engineer (too).

Good evening gentlemen.

PS: Maybe someone can verify this behaviour.
PPS: How you build an automation from this knowledge (should it also work for you) you must know on your own.

1 Like