WD My Passport USB 3.0 1 TB External Hard Disk not working after falling from desk

I bought WD My Passport USB 3.0 1 TB External Hard Disk on September 2012. Today it fell down from my desk. It was not connected to laptop when it fell down. After falling the outside casing got opened a little. So I pressed it and it got fit properly. But after that the hard disk is not working. It’s making beeping sound. There is no spinning inside (no vibration). Please suggest what I should do.

Sujoy,

This is most unfortunate, as the disk may have physical damage. I would recommend performing a health test on the unit, as instructed in the following link:

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/940/

1 Like

Thank you for your suggestion. The  Windows Data Lifeguard Diagnostics tool is not detecting the hard disk as it is not being detected by computer also. If it is physically damaged, is there any way to recover the data?

Usually when a drive is dropped it is physically damaged and beyond do it yourslef recovery. If you are thinking of professional recovery doing nothing is best. If the drive does not show in Disk Management there is probably nothing you can do.

Joe

2 Likes