WD My passport not mounting in mac!

Hi Trancer, please if you find a solution, also let me know. MBP mid 2010, WD my passport partitioned into apple (mac os journaled) and windows (Windows NT). Was working perfectly fine since a few days, now only recognizing the apple partition. Can see the windows partition in Disc Utility but cannot set mount-point.

Thanks in advance

Same problem here:
I’ve bought WD My Passport Ultra 2TB a week or two ago. I haven’t done any formatting or other changes (I assume the format is NTFS-3G) and on 10.6 it was working fine, even though the data transfer was significantly slower than on my other external HD.

Yesterday I’ve upgraded my macbook pro 2010 to 10.9.2 and WD Passport wasn’t accessible anymore, but it’s still recognizable by the disk utility.

It looks like that erasing the disk might be a solution*, unless it doesn’t contain any vital data.

*(I think in case of few files ‘unsecure’ disk erasing with further data recover can help. In my memory, after file recovering they doesn’t preserve the name, so finding of the needed data might become a nightmare)

Trancer,

I’m yet another user having the same problem.  I would request you inform the community of the information in this “private message”.

Unless you want us all to contact you for their own “private message”.

So I am hereby requesting that same information.  It seems odd that this is not be handled with more transparency.

Thanks.

jehliy wrote:

I’m having the same problem: mbp late 2011. new WD 2TB “My passport Ultra”.

Mounted a few times, EXFAT formatted. Unintentionally ejected and doesn’t monunt since.

When you say that you unintentionally ejected, did you pull the plug on the drive?  And if so, was data being or had just been copied to it? 

If so, then you most likely corrupted the file system. Check in disk utilities to see if the drive shows up.  If so, then you might be able to recover the data with a software recovery program.

thelimelight wrote:

Same problem here:
I’ve bought WD My Passport Ultra 2TB a week or two ago. I haven’t done any formatting or other changes (I assume the format is NTFS-3G) and on 10.6 it was working fine, even though the data transfer was significantly slower than on my other external HD.

Yesterday I’ve upgraded my macbook pro 2010 to 10.9.2 and WD Passport wasn’t accessible anymore, but it’s still recognizable by the disk utility.

It looks like that erasing the disk might be a solution*, unless it doesn’t contain any vital data.

*(I think in case of few files ‘unsecure’ disk erasing with further data recover can help. In my memory, after file recovering they doesn’t preserve the name, so finding of the needed data might become a nightmare)

Was the drive connected to your Mac when you upgraded it?  If the drive shows up in disk utilities, it may mean that it got corrupted somehow.  If you don’t need the data, then you can reformat the drive.  If you do need the data, then you should look for data recovery software to try and restore it.  There may be software that will recover the names of the files as well.

scrisp wrote:

Trancer,

I’m yet another user having the same problem.  I would request you inform the community of the information in this “private message”.

Unless you want us all to contact you for their own “private message”.

So I am hereby requesting that same information.  It seems odd that this is not be handled with more transparency.

Thanks.

The only reason we contact by pm is so that we can get your personal information and contact you directly to further troubleshoot the issue.  We don’t allow personal information posted on the forums.

Just so everyone knows, we are looking into this issue with your passports not mounting on Maverick. 

Also, please keep in mind that ALL passports should be directly connected to the computer/laptop, not through a USB hub.  Even with a powered hub they may not connect. 

Same problem here with a 1TB, I seem to have a slight variation in that if I remove the security from the drive then restart my Mac it mounts ok. The problem seems to be limited to when security is enabled on mine.

Bill_S

I’ve just tried to plug it into another computer (lenovo laptop with windows 7) and it was working fine, so it seems to be a problem between WD My Passport Ultra 2TB, MacOS 10.9.2 and NTFS-3G format.

thelimelight wrote:

Bill_S

I’ve just tried to plug it into another computer (lenovo laptop with windows 7) and it was working fine, so it seems to be a problem between WD My Passport Ultra 2TB, MacOS 10.9.2 and NTFS-3G format.

Yes, it could be.  As I understand it, the Macs can only read NTFS.  I’m not sure what you mean by NTFS-3G format, but you now know that it’s not the drive.  If you really want to just use the drive on a Mac, then you will need to pull the data off the drive and reformat the drive in a Mac format.  However, if you want to keep the cross compatibilty, then you will need to format the drive in either EXFat or Fat32.  Keep in mind that Fat32 has a 4GB file size limitation.  Also, realize that third party format software can be a problem themselves.  If you have one you know is reliable then fine, but if it’s a new or unknown format software, then try something different.

I am having the same exact problem

Do you have a solution yet?

please message me!

this is unacceptable!!

1 Like

Exact same problem.  1TB and 2TB USB disk drives, with unpredictable visibility on my WD HDTV.  For a time it was 50/50 as to whether the WD would see the drive.  It’s now 100% unmountable but perfect on my mac.  Is this a feature?

I am having the same issue as well - although I am NOT running Maverick. I have a Macbook Air running 10.8.5. This is my 2nd WD external harddrive to do this to me… 

It was working fine, I was using it as time machine backup AND as regular storage backup of images and other files… It suddenly was giving me an error that it could not recognize the drive and that it was “read-only” - I unplugged the drive and plugged it back in and now it’s just not showing up. PLEASE help!!!

I am getting the same problem.

3TB WD My book. It stopped working after I updgraded to Mavericks. I have a MacBook Pro.

Now it shows up in disk utility but cannot be mounted. I have 6 of this disks, I work with video and need space.

I really need to know if there is going to be a solution to this issue or not. The sooner I move all my info to another brand the better, if Western Digitial will not provide a solution that is fine (not really) but I need to move on with my life.

This has been going on for months, when will we know if there is or there is not a solution?

I think Bill_S (Community manager) is looking into this for a few weeks now…

Bill, do you have any update on this? Please do let me know if you do.

Thanks, 

Nicolas

Folks, these are not all necessarily the same issues.  The one user above that I was looking into his issue for was using an incompatible format.

If your drive shows up in disk utilities, but not on the desktop, that is usually an indication that the drive may have become corrupted.  If you’re pulling the cables without safely removing the drives, you can corrupt them, especially after having copied data to the drives.  If you think you may have corrupted your drive, and you have a backup of your data, then you can reformat the drive to wipe out the corruption and reuse the drive.  If you do not have a backup of your data, then you will need to do data recovery. However, with corruption, there is no guarantee that you can get all your data back.

If you are using USB hubs, powered or not, to connect the drive to your Mac, you can experience intermittent connection issues.  This would be caused by the drive not getting enough power to run.  You will need to connect the drive directly to the computer using a USB cable no longer than 18-22 inches max. 

Now, if you are connecting directly to the computer and still getting intermittent connection issues.  It is possible that there may be an issue with physical damage on either your usb port on the computer, on the drive itself, or with the cable.  To troubleshoot further, you should replace the cable, try another port (or computer).  If the intermittent connection issue continues, then there may be physical damage with the port on the portable drive itself.

[edit]

One other thing I’d like to bring up.  As you start adding more data to the drive, it may be possible that its power demands rise as well.  If you’re using a laptop, or even sometimes a pc, it’s possible that the ports aren’t putting out enough power to consistently power up the drive.  If that’s the case, you may need to use a power booster cable to supplement the power from another port.

NicolasB wrote:

I am getting the same problem.

3TB WD My book. It stopped working after I updgraded to Mavericks. I have a MacBook Pro.

Now it shows up in disk utility but cannot be mounted. I have 6 of this disks, I work with video and need space.

I really need to know if there is going to be a solution to this issue or not. The sooner I move all my info to another brand the better, if Western Digitial will not provide a solution that is fine (not really) but I need to move on with my life.

This has been going on for months, when will we know if there is or there is not a solution?

I think Bill_S (Community manager) is looking into this for a few weeks now…

Bill, do you have any update on this? Please do let me know if you do.

Thanks, 

Nicolas

You’re using a completely different product than a passport, and it’s possible that something may have happened when you upgraded to Mavericks.  Someone will be in touch to look into it.

So far none of the problems reported here were due to any firmware issues.  All the issues we found so far were due to either incompatible formatting, defective drives, defective cables, or defective usb ports.

I recommend that if you’re not sure what may be the cause of any issues you may be experiencing, please contact support for further help.  Below is the contact information for WD’s Support. You can contact them either by phone or email.

Contact WD
http://support.wdc.com/country/index.asp?lang=en