WD My passport not mounting in mac!

Hello,

I have a massive issue.  I have a 2TB mypassport drive that i use with my macbook pro, its the one that fits in the rugged case and is USB 3.0.  I went to plug it in to my MPB today and nothing happens, the light comes on in the hard drive and i can hear it running but it doesnt seem to mount on to my MBP, it doesnt show up in disk utilities either.  Im running Mavericks on a 2012 2.9GHZ MBP. 

The hard drive is still under warrently, but thats not the problem, i need the data on this hard drive!  

Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

Jack

I have the same prblem did any body help you.

jackwakeham0 wrote:

Hello,

I have a massive issue.  I have a 2TB mypassport drive that i use with my macbook pro, its the one that fits in the rugged case and is USB 3.0.  I went to plug it in to my MPB today and nothing happens, the light comes on in the hard drive and i can hear it running but it doesnt seem to mount on to my MBP, it doesnt show up in disk utilities either.  Im running Mavericks on a 2012 2.9GHZ MBP. 

The hard drive is still under warrently, but thats not the problem, i need the data on this hard drive!  

Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

Jack

Were you running WD SmartWare or WD Drive Manager on your Mac when you updated to Mavericks?

Garylee wrote:

I have the same prblem did any body help you.

Same for you.  Were you running SmartWare or Drive Manager on your Mac when you updated to Mavericks?

I’m experiencing the same issue.

New Macbook Pro OS X 10.9

New My Passport Ultra.

Are you able to see the drive in Disk Utility? If so, how is it formatted (NTFS, HFS +, etc.)?

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1362

No, not visible in disk utility. Formated in Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

We are having Engineering look into this issue.

I am having the same issue upgraded to Maverics on my Mac then as per your e-mail i uninstalled wd smartware. Now my Mac does not recognize the drive i can see it in disk utility but cannot do anything with it. Extremly frustrated I have 2 itunes librarys and 2 iphoto libraries on this drive…

Same thing for me.  I bought the 2TB My Passport - and it worked fine on Mavericks for a few days.  Luckily I used exFat format - so I can still get the data from Windows 8 (so the data is fine).

When it first went wrong I couldn’t see the drive in Finder, but could see it in Disk Utility.  I verified it, then it disappeared from Disk Utility.  Did a reboot with it plugged in and Disk Utility found it again.  Then did a Repair and it came back into Finder.

Next time it went wrong I tried the Repair first time - and haven’t seen it in Finder or Disk Utility since.

Still fine from Windows 8 though (CHKDSK /F doesn’t find any problems)

Hope this helps,

Simon.

I am having similar problems today, and I have NOT upgraded to Maverick; have been running 10.8.5 for quite some time, with regular upgrades (but nothing that I recall in recent days), and I do not seem to have any of the custom WD software installed.

My passport has been connected via USB and used as time machine backup. Most recent backup was completed at 6:54am today. Arrived in office to see error message about drive being removed but not properly ejected. I have disconnected/reconnected the drive, and rebooted the computer, but it does not mount and does not appear from within Disk Utility, although it does have light on and feels like it is spinning. I see nothing in system logs when attempting.

Hi all,

Just learnt something about my issue.  I tried attaching my (usually) offsite backup drive (different brand) to do a backup this morning - and it wasn’t recognised either !  Wierd, because my two main USB3 drives are working perfectly.

So I tried attaching my offsite backup drive to the Mac Mini itself, rather than though my D-LInk powered USB 4 port - and it worked.

Which lead to me trying my 2TB My Passport directly to the Mac Mini - and it worked too !

So my issue has turned into a “USB 3 devices aren’t recognised through my D-Link powered USB 4 port adapter on Mavericks” issue - not a problem (apprently) with the WD My Passport at all.

Hope this helps,

Simon.

Same experience here, with an external My Passport, 1 TB.  Was working perfectly for a long time, containing irreplaceable data! I upgraded to Mavericks about a week or two ago, but only tried to plug it in again last weekend. 

Failed to mount at all.  Disk Utility can’t scan it, although it DOES see it, incorrectly, as a 2.2 TB drive (?). 

Following the advice on other messages on this forum, I completely eliminated any and all WD software from my machine, a Mac MBPro 2011 edition.  Still, no luck, won’t mount the drive, even after erasing all WD software.
I filed a support ticket, but no response at all so far.

I have another WD My Passport for Mac, which I dedicate to backups with Time Machine.  Last week, it also appeared inaccessible, and I used Disk Utility to simple reinitialize the drive, since I could simply make another backup, which did work after wiping the drive. 

I also downloaded and ran the Firmware update utility on that second drive, and re-scanned it to make sure, and it’s fine.

The problem is with this other MyPassport, which is unreadable/unmountable.  I did *not* re-run the Firmware update on it, fearing it would make matters worse, and did not re-init the drive with Disk Utility. 

I’m hoping against hope WD will have a solution, and soon, to recover this data, otherwise, I may have to rip the drive out and try another enclosure from a third party. I hear that using another SATA to USB controller enclosure makes the data accessible, but would rather hear something, anything from WD. 

So far… nothing.

I am having the same issue. Brand new drive out the box. MacBookPro running mavericks. For such an expensive item this is not acceptable, especially since this issue has been around for so long.

A fix please!

I have a similar problem. I am using a WD My Passport for Mac 1TB HD with my MacBook Air. I configured this HD for Time Machine and worked fine for a while. Then, suddenly, it is not recognized by Finder. I ran WD Drive Utilities and this software is able to find it. The SMART status diagnostic passes with no problem. The Quick Drive Test runs up to 90% and never passes from there.

Does it mean these HDs are disposable in a few months and then the data is not recoverable? Is there a way to continue using this HD? What can I do to recover my HD and/or data?

Thanks.

Hi,

I got same problem here. 2TB Passport on MBP late 2011.

It worked OK for couples of days earlier and all out of a sudden not recognised today, not even in Disk Utilities as mentioned by everyone.

Thanks,

Dong

i have the same problem

i have a mbpro ends 2013 and a wd my passport 1tb and nothing happens, either in disk utility.

please fix this problem.

It’s really disappointing Maverick has been out there for a whole year (if not more?) and yet there’s no solution.

I was thinking of downgrading back to Snow Leopard, but I read there might be some incompatibilities & problems there aswell (of the system itself). Thanks god I’ve only upgraded to Maverick 2 days ago.

My passport is recognized in disk utility and that useless “SmartWare”, yet it’s not possible to mount it, or any other external drive. I was able to mount one MAC-Journaled formatted drive.

Problem is, I’m also a student, and USBs pass around, getting & giving studying material, so I’m screwed all over.

Sorry for “whining”, but how there one year has passed and something so elementary such as External Drive isn’t supported???

I have notified an investigation team, and they are likely to contact you by means of a private message.

Regards,

I’m having the same problem: mbp late 2011. new WD 2TB “My passport Ultra”.

Mounted a few times, EXFAT formatted. Unintentionally ejected and doesn’t monunt since.