I have this problem that sometimes when the external Hard Drive is under a read/write process it suddenly restarts; it happens whenever I try to access the HD or the files in it, not always, but often. However, when attempting to transfer files between it and another external drive, it will always restart.
I have tried to find the source of the problem:
- USB Ports - I tried connecting to every port of my PC, the problem was still there.
- USB Cable - After thinking for a while, I thought the problem might be the cable not sending enough power to the HD so I tried with other types of USB wires that I previously owned, including a “Y” cable. None of them solved the issue.
- Formatting - I backed up everything I previously stored in the external drive to my local disk (currently my pc is saturated for this reason) and formatted it more than one time, the issue persisted.
Seeing there wasn’t another possibility, I assumed the HD had a hardware malfunction and decided to return it to the store, until I tested it on other computers. Surprisingly, it worked perfectly and handled large amounts of data transfers without problems, this is how I found out that the issue is only present on my system.
I find this strange because other external hard drives (irrelevant to Western Digital) were working fine on my computer; so long My Passport Essential is the only storage device giving me problems.
As additional information:
- I’m using Windows 7.
- The HD isn’t using the provided software as it’s mainly used for storage, but I saved it.
- Sometimes, the activity on another external disk also restarts My Passport Essential.