WD My Passport | can't throw out the HDD | Problem Ejecting USB Mass Storage Device | Fehler beim Abdocken von ''USB-Massenspeichergerät

Hi. I can’t throw out my ,My Passport 4TB’'. I already tried everything. It’s the WD Software who keeps the HDD running. What to do?

‘‘This device is currently in use. Close any programs or windows that might be using the device and then try again.’’

,Dieses Gerät wird gerade verwendet. Schließen Sie alle Programme oder Fenster, die möglicherweise das Gerät verwenden, und wiederholen Sie den Vorgang.

Open WD Smartware. In the Home Tab select the Backup Source drive and the Backup Target drive. Click on Backup Tab. Over in the lower right corner make sure click on Disable Backup. You may see a window cautioning you that backing up will stop. Select Yes and close Smartware. It might take a while, but you should be able to eject the drive.

Cliff

My laptop died last week, and I bought a new replacement without really considering two things: whether my external drives would work off of a standard small (i.e., moderately priced) USB hub; and whether I still had any software necessary to operate the drives. (I’m retired, some things have disappeared the past few years.) So I was initially panicked when the new laptop didn’t see either external drive, which had been performing flawlessly before the crash.

Managed to get one drive seen, but then could not eject it – as noted in your response above.

My problem is I no longer have the WD Smartware and have searched the WD website looking for any place I might be able to download it, to no avail. Any suggestions?

This is beyond frustrating, so any help would be gratefully received.