WD My Cloud torrent client

Hi guys,

I’m looking to buy a NAS for my home network and after doing a little research online I arrived at the WD My Cloud with probably a 2TB disk. Basically what I need is a media server for my video collection which I can stream from on my TV, my iPad, my computer and so on. The only remaining issue is that I really want the NAS to have an integrated torrent client and I can’t find this info. I know the bigger brother (wd my cloud mirror) has both a standard p2p client and the possibility to install a 3rd-party app, such as Transmission. I understand that the wd my cloud doesn’t support 3rd-party apps but I need to know if it also has that standard client, like the Mirror does.

Also, is anyone using WD My Cloud for video streaming? Is it holding up ok for HD videos?

Thanks,

Radu.

Like you mentioned unlike its bigger brother, WDMyCloud doesn’t support 3rd party apps, it also doesn’t have p2p client. The older version 3 does support “apt-get install” but not the later version 4 onwards. On version 4, one needs to manually build a special 64K page size memory and install the deb. This can be a tedious process and not all builds can be successfully produced. Alternatively you can get the v4 debs here in this forum though it’s still not mature in 3rd party support.

As for streaming, WDMyCloud have no issues with HD videos. Example I can stream a 15GB MKV from WDMyCloud at home over the internet to my folk’s place with no dropout (depends on your internet speed, for LAN it has no issues). The other end is an android smartphone installed with WD android app which streams the content via Allshare Cast to a Samsung Smart TV.