WD My Cloud Homeand My Cloud Home Duo

Please can anyone explain why these products are not classed as a NAS.I am using a My Cloud Mirror at present which I was told was a NAS.

Hi @Chris179,

Please be informed that My cloud mirror is NAS device.

Please refer to the below link to check the product overview:

For more information, please contact the WD Technical Support team for best assistance:
https://support-en.wd.com/app/ask

Thanks for reply. I think you have misunderstood my question. I am aware that the my cloud is a Nas, but in the writing of the my cloud home/duo it states"Unlike a
NAS, it’s a simple centralized solution to back
up your photos, videos and files, and have it
stored in one place."so why is a home product not classed as a NAS
Thanks
Chris

Sorry meant to say that my cloud mirror is a NAS, but in its description, the my cloud home and home duo state that they are unlike a NAS.
In my world they do the same thing as a NAS

Where did you talk about a My Cloud Home? I see My Cloud Mirror in your original post/topic.

The My Cloud Home is called a Personal Cloud Storage. See search result below.

“With personal cloud storage, you’re the one who owns and controls the physical device where your data is being stored . These units are a type of network attached storage, or NAS. If a NAS can be used not only from the local network but also remotely, it is also called a personal cloud.”

Personal Cloud Storage - Bing

The main beef with “Home” line is that these units rely on internet access to perform user authentication.

Basically, if you internet is down. . .or WD decommissions a bunch of servers. . .you would not be able to access the data on the drive.

Your are only one very short step away from a subscription to access your data.

Plus. . .you really don’t know what else is happening with the network links. As a product. . I would advise against the home line.

The OS/3 MyClouds can function perfectly fine without ANY network connection.
The OS/5 MyClouds require internet for registration; don’t know what happens long term without internet