WD My Book World (WD1000H) Cannot Connect With Time Machine

Hi,

I managed to get this device working over the network with Time Machine on macOS Sierra and High Sierra via the IP address. Though I can’t remember how I did it.

Upon installing macOS Mojave, though, I was immediately notified that I was not encrypting my backups despite my Mac Disk being encrypted. So, I thought I ought to rectify that. Now, I cannot remember how I managed to get it to work over IP, and when I attempt to select the disk in Time Machine I am told it cannot connect to “TimeMachine-Backup.local”… I’ve even restored the device to factory defaults, and still cannot connect.

This is the message I get in the macOS Console:

Failed to connect via SMB to ‘smb://TimeMachine-Backup._smb._tcp.local./WD_Backup’. Falling back to trying to connect via AFP to ‘afp://TimeMachine-Backup._afpovertcp._tcp.local./WD_Backup’, error: Error Domain=com.apple.TimeMachine.Preferences Code=5 “Time Machine can’t connect to the backup disk.” UserInfo={NSUnderlyingError=0x600003114810 {Error Domain=NSOSStatusErrorDomain Code=65 “EHOSTUNREACH: No route to host”}, NSLocalizedDescription=Time Machine can’t connect to the backup disk., NSLocalizedRecoverySuggestion=The operation couldn’t be completed. (OSStatus error 65.)}

Despite this message, I am able to connect directly to the device in Finder using the IP Address and smb://, however I can’t then get this device to show up in Time Machine via IP…

Can anybody help me? I’ve also tried updating the Firmware but the device tells me it is fully up to date. Last time I updated it was April 2018.

Hi LukeTim,

You should have a look at the link given below.

https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=7081&lang=en