WD My Book not readable - data recovery possible?

While attempting to repartion my WD My Book, the partioning process froze - stupidly , I eventually pulled out the drive.

Now the disk isn’t being recognised at all. Plugging in, I get ‘The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer’. All options in Disk Utility are unavailable: I can’t verify or repair disk permissions, I can’t verify or repair disk. Disk Warrior and TechTool Pro haven’t seemed to be able to help.

Is there any, any way I could recover some of the data on the drive?

Thanks.

Try a linux live CD like Ubuntu and see if that gives you access. The live CD doesn’t actually iunstall.

Joe

jeremyk wrote:

While attempting to repartion my WD My Book, the partioning process froze - stupidly , I eventually pulled out the drive.

Now the disk isn’t being recognised at all. Plugging in, I get ‘The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer’. All options in Disk Utility are unavailable: I can’t verify or repair disk permissions, I can’t verify or repair disk. Disk Warrior and TechTool Pro haven’t seemed to be able to help.

Is there any, any way I could recover some of the data on the drive?

Thanks.

you do realize that repartitioning your drive is data destructive, unless of course you’re using a third party software to do it.  now, once you lose your partition, which you evidently did, you can’t read the drive until you repartition and format it.  I would find a way to write zeros to the drive, then you should be able to repartition and format it.  however, if you are looking to recover your data, then you will need to get some data recovery software that can restore the partition.