WD My Book - more than 500 GB of files missing!

Dear all,

I am using a 1TB WD Mybook to store my backup files for more than a year (using simple copy & paste method). It is now almost full at about 913 GB. Recently, when I used adobe bridge CS3 to open files in a sub-sub folders (f:\notebook\2011_02_28), I encountered some problems ie. some of the files in folder 2011_02_28 cannot be read. When I exited the program and re-opened adobe bridge again, I noticed that all the files and folders under the sub-folder f:\notebook (there are hundreds of folders & thousands of files here, approx 500GB) disappeared ![:shocked:]( “I’m shocked”) I checked the filesize used for my WD Mybook and it says 913GB which suggests that these files must have hidden somewhere in Mybook. I can read the files of other folders/subfolders stored in Mybook. 

I would appreciate if if someone could advise me on how to recover these files? Thank you.

Best regards,

anthony.

Try going into the device manager and deleting the drive for the external remove the drive then reboot system and reconnect. Sometimes that fixes things. One copy is not a backup you need it stord in at least 2 places.

Joe

Thanks for your reply!

I am not really good at computer but I tried your method as follows:

From Control Panel, I select <Hardware & Soung>

• click

• click

• click <WD My Book USB Device

• click uninstall

• reboot the system and reconnect

I still cannot locate my 500GB files.  Did I do it correctly?  Please advice again.

Thank you very much!

Anthony.