WD My Book Live - Copy Files Issue - Network / Internet Stops Working

I have the WD My Book Live, Windows 7, and Verizon FIOS.

I have a problem that when I copy files to the WD My Book Live, it starts to copy the files for awhile, then it says it cannot access the drive. I click on Retry, it still cannot access the drive. I loose internet connectivity, and network connectivity and I have to goto network connections, and do a diagnose to fix the internet and network connectivity. This problem seemed random as sometimes it does work. 

I have the updated firmware, the drive passed the short test, but not the long one, it gets stuck at 10%. Tonight I bypassed the router, gave my computer 192.168.1.10, directly connected by drive, which already has static IP 192.168.1.75 and started to do a 100GB transfer. It started to work good, ran through 10 GB then it stopped working and I got the red bar. I could ping 127.0.0.1 but my IP and the drives IP came back with either General Failure, Destination Host Unreachable etc. As always I ran the windows Diagnostic, then I could connect to the drive again, this time I made a new root folder, and tried to copy just one item that was around 3Gigs there, and it worked slightly then almost instantly went to red bar again and trashed the network connection.

So I am running into the same issues now with no router connected at all… I am using 2TB or the 3TB and I am at wits end at what is causing this? Can any of you experts out their yield some ideas… I even tried to enable the FTP and transfer through FTP software thinking it was some type of windows file share thing, and it still screwed up…this was connected through the router a few weeks ago. :angry::wink:

UPDATE: My problem was that I updated from Windows XP to Windows 7 and the NIC Driver for Windows 7 for my NIC sucked and I had to disable some setting on it in the NIC properties.

1 Like

Since you also have a direct connection with static IPs I would continue with the following…

• Verify both machines have the correct subnet mask.

• Reboot both devices

• Try a new patch cable

If problem stil persist, try a copy from a different source, cell, another PC, etc.

exact the same issues here (especially with large files (around 1.5 GB and more) … but copying from the MBL to my PC is not an issue, but vice versa, copying large files from the PC to the MBL reproduces the same network error message

I have a MyBookLive 3 TB and use Windows 7 64bit, the drive is 2 1/2 years old and till now I never had those problems before (exception: I was never able to finish the Full Test (as described before by ‘thelittlelion’), not in the beginning and not now !!!)

to make the drive run again, I have to pull the plug, wait 10 sec. and re-connect it again… then I can start copying for a while, but the error will occur again after some time (around 30 minutes)

edit:

I tried the same copy procedure from my ubuntu 14.04lts system and received a similar error - message … so it’s definitive a WD MyBookLive problem …

Thanks for the reply, I am going to buy a patch cable on the way home, and check the subnet and try the transfer on my PC, and if it does not work, I will redo the same steps on my wifes dell laptop which also has Windows 7. I only installed Windows 7 like 6 months ago, before that I was using Windows XP Pro and I never ran into this problem, the only problem I ran into was the 256 character file name limit when long file names were buried in sub directories then copied into more sub directories onto the network drive. Windows 7 definately can be quite goofy sometimes, I will do the test and post my results tonight.

I’ve had a similar issue since day 1 with my 3tb My Book Live. It just goes “missing” for about 30-45 seconds or so–doesn’t respond to ping, browsing via SMB times out, any streaming network access that was ongoing times out, and file copies in either direction will time out. It’s not rebooting, it just goes AWOL. It comes back on its own, and I can restart streams and file copying.

Copying files to it seems to excarbate the issue, but it occurs no matter what I’m doing. It even seems to happen when there is no ongoing access, because very rarely when I first try and browse into it via SMB, it times out… and comes back within a little bit. I have seen this with a client’s 3tb My Book Live also, which makes me think this is endemic to these drives. Makes me wish I had bought Synology instead!

1 Like