WD My Book Live 3TB - Random Blue LED Light flashes

Hi all,
I wonder if any one can help me. I have an old WD My Book Live (MBL, The drive got corrupt, started making a clicking noise, so I purchased another WD 3TB Green Hard Drive and placed it in to the MBL casing, when I now Connect the MBL to the network , I can not see the device on the router’s attached devices.

I have checked all the cables are plugged in and tried different cables.
On the eternet port at the back the bottom light is a solid green and the top light is blinking green.
I have followed the network cable to the router and there also the the light next to the cable is blinking green.
The LED at the front flashes blue randomly other wise blank.
I have felt the device and it is warm.

Is there something I am missing, or should have done after placing the new HDD in to the casing.

Any assistance would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

You sure did miss something! :slightly_smiling:

NAS devices are not the same as USB hard drives, you cannot just swap them. NAS devices in order to be NAS (network attached storage) need its own OS. Most NAS devices regardless of brand, are some light custom version of some Linux flavor. The MBL has Debian Lenny.

So in a few words, you need to reinstall the OS. Search for the unbrick guides on this forum. There are two. if V1 does not work for you, try V2.

Thanks for that.
What I have done is taken a second MBL I have and cloned it on the the new HDD. (Both HDD are WD Green 3TB)
So I have:
MBL(1) Had Corrupt HDD
MBL (2) Working fine

HDD (1) New Drive
HDD (2) working fine in MBL(2)

Cloned HDD(2) on to HDD(1)
Placed HDD(1) in to MBL(2) and tested on network - I can see on network
Placed HDD(2) in to MBL(2) and tested on network - I can see on network

Placed HDD(1) in to MBL(1) and tested on network - I can not see on network
Placed HDD(2) in to MBL(1) and tested on network - I can not see on network

Looked at the back of the MBL(1) and the network lights are on Link LED is solid Green, and the Activity LED is flashing Green
followed the network cable to the router and the led on the router for the cable is flashing green.
The LED at the front of the MBL(1) is a solid Blue.

I used the same network and power cable to test both MBL (1) and MBL (2) so I now it is not the cable.

Watson, then the enclosure died. :grinning:

any way to fix it or revive it?
Is it the controller board that has died?

no idea, it could had been the controller, the nic, the sata adapter, etc…